Mothers Day question

My mom has shown a complete disregard for my birthday for four years straight now. We've had a lot of issues in the past some thought by many others to be unforgiveable but I let things go because she is my mom. This year we did a big all out celebration for my sister whose 4 years older than me. I thought nothing of it. I never mentioned doing anything special or asked anyone to. However when my birthday did come, my mom made it very clear she didnt care. She called me and stayed on the phone with me for 2 hours talking about everything else and then said she had to go, and quickly hung up the phone. I'm not very old (24) so I have a facebook where I keep in contact with mostly extended family, and while all my cousins and aunts, and uncles were wishing me a happy birthday, my mom was posting links to random things on my page. I let it go, even though it did hurt my feelings, but now with moms day being Sunday shes telling me all these places she wants to go and what not. She showed total disregard for me on what I considered my day, I'm a mom as well however she is my mom so I see this day more special for her as my son is only 4. But I dont think I should go all out to celebrate moms day for her after how she acted. A card and some flowers at most? Is this wrong of me or should I celebrate moms day the way she wants to.

thelovelymzbre

Asked by thelovelymzbre at 11:54 PM on May. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• Does your older sister have any children? The reason I ask is that sometimes parents will treat one adult child with what seems like more respect and attention, but it's really because that child has no other people in their lives. You've got your DS. Have you discussed with your mother how the birthday thing hurt you? The cards and flowers sound nice enough. I don't know the dynamics of your family, though.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 12:09 AM on May. 7, 2011

• No, absolutely not! If anything she should allow you your time to be with your son. She's very selfish, maybe a little jealous of you. She should be ashamed of herself. Get up on Mothers Day and do WHAT you want!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:13 AM on May. 7, 2011

• You didn't say anything about a DH or a SO. But if you do have one, tell her you already have plans on Mother's Day. Just send a card instead and tell her you will do something together another time.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:51 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Do what feels right to you. Trust your heart. I have been hurt by my mother over and over. She lives with me and is 82. Nothing I say or do will make her change. It's always been this way; we've never been close. For Mother's Day, she will get a card from me, but, maybe, at the most, a small box of candy just so my conscience is clear. I'm on FB and while a lot of people are posting pictures and loving messages about their mothers, I just can't do it. It's not the way I feel. I can't wait until the day comes and goes. Sad, but true.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:12 AM on May. 7, 2011