When did you decide on your kid(s) name?

Did you have names picked out before you got pregnant or did it take you awhile to choose your child's name?

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 12:31 AM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• i had names picked out since i was really little but when I got pregnant the names I could remember that I liked, I didnt think were good enough for my kids haha
    I picked names at like six or seven months
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:33 AM on May. 7, 2011

• We picked out some names while I was pregnant, but didn't finally choose until after Baby was born and we could meet him/her. In fact in the case of our 5th son, he was nearly a week old before we decided for sure.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:34 AM on May. 7, 2011

• We had an idea, but didn't name her until she was 12 hours old.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 12:34 AM on May. 7, 2011

• First baby, we named after we found out she was a girl...second baby, we named when she was about an hour old. :)
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 12:36 AM on May. 7, 2011

• With our first we came up with names when I was about 7 months.
    With the second we sort of maybe had a girl name and no boy name. We went with the girl name when she was born.
    With our third we knew about about 10 weeks that the first name would be Rami (means awesome/amazing in Hebrew) and chose a middle name when he was born (Shai, meaning gift.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:37 AM on May. 7, 2011

• With our first, we knew when we got pregnant what the name would be for either gender - DH's middle name is Ashley - mine is Larie (like Marie with an "L") so we knew if we had a girl, we'd name her Ashley Larie. Had we had a boy, we'd have named him Jacob Payton, after my husband's paternal grandfather and his dad.

When our son came along - we chose a name after we found out he was expected. But then his birthmom changed her mind and kept him. She named him Austin Chase. When he was 15 months old, he ended up coming home to us and his adoption finalized when he was 3... we changed his name to Richard Austin (after DH) and still call him Austin.

With our 9 y/o - we left the first name her birthmom gave her but changed the spelling for safety - and changed her middle name to give her a name "after" someone.

We named the 2 yr old when she came home with us at birth.

The next one - who knows :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:38 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I knew I was going to name my daughter after my Aunt. ANd I knew this the last four months of my pregnancy.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 12:45 AM on May. 7, 2011

• 1st son we knew we were going to name him Michael, after a friend. 2nd child we thought was a girl, turned out to be a boy, so we had no name. I told my husband that I get to choose the name and I insisted on Steven. My husband had no idea of my devious plan. My dh's name is Pete, then Michael and Steven. Put their initials together and you have PMS! LMAO! I have had PMS for 25 yrs now and counting, lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:45 AM on May. 7, 2011

• We picked out several we liked and I wrote them all out in different combos of first/middle variations on a dry erase board. I also wrote what her monogram and initials would be (something that can be very important later in life) for each name. We finally narrowed it down to two that my husband I both liked. Harper Morrell or Haleigh Morrell. Morrell is a family name (it's my middle name, my dad's, and my granddad's) and my name is Ashleigh (hence the spelling of Haleigh). That way her initials would be the same no matter what we picked so my family and friends would stop bugging me about getting things monogrammed (I live in the south, and we monogram EVERYTHING). We waited until we saw her for the first time. My husband looked at me and asked me what I thought, and before my mind could wrap around the question I called her Haleigh. I didn't even think, it just came out!
    ashjoy

Answer by ashjoy at 12:46 AM on May. 7, 2011

• We had our DDs name picked out since about a year before she was concieved.
    we already have our next baby's name picked out too, and dont plan on trying for another one for at least another year and a half.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:49 AM on May. 7, 2011