Nipple Soreness suddenly at 30+ months into nursing relationship? adult content

The past few MONTHS, I've had nipple soreness when my 21/2 year old daughter nurses (and sometimes it lasts afterward).

I wondered if she was nursing differently or nursing too often, but neither really seems to be the case. Often, it's only a few times a day.

The past THREE DAYS it has become much, much worse. Really pained nipples, so I have winced when she nurses, especially today.

I have no idea what is causing this, we have had a beautiful nursing relationship after the first few "getting used to it" days and weeks just after she was born. People who haven't nursed a toddler: this has nothing to do with her teeth; she isn't biting me, she's had teeth since eight months, and a bunch of teeth since 11/2. It's never hurt before.

I've had regular periods while this has been going on. I haven't had one yet this cycle, but it isn't due for another week+. I'm not really thinking pregnancy since this has been going on several months (with reg. AF). It's just much worse these past few days, especially today.

Oh, I also don't think I am drying up or anything, she still gets milk. I still feel the filling-up feeling at let-down sometimes too.

Right now, she isn't nursing (has not nursed for hours now, since before 9 pm and it's almost 1 am) and my nipples hurt within my bra. They throb and ache. They are sore, sort of like the soreness right after you first start nursing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on May. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have nursed my oldest as a toddler and I just had those weeks where my nipples hurt so bad and of course when I wore my bra th fabric would rub up against them and make it ten times worse. I think they just nurse differently sometimes just try 2 make sure the whole nipple is in there mouth and not just the tip. Im still nursing my almost 13 month old daughter and I have already experianced this w her but it goes away. Hang in there or c a doc if it gets worse.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:04 AM on May. 7, 2011

• BTW, I have had plugged ducts and I think I once had mastitis as well (though I wasn't diagnosed). My BREASTS don't hurt at all, just my nipples. Could it be thrush though? I've never had that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:51 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Thanks so much for the reply!

That's what I have been figuring the past few months. It's hormones around ovulation time. Or she's nursing weird (but it seems the same).

But today it was just SO awful, it prompted this question.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:17 AM on May. 7, 2011