If Jesus was sent by God specifically to die for our sins

then why do the Jewish people take so much flak for "killing him"? Wasn't that what was supposed to happen? Why is this seen as a bad thing, when he needed to die, to accomplish his (or rather God's) Earthly goal? I recently asked this question elsewhere, and most people didn't seem to be aware of the antisemitism held by many (obviously not the majority of) Christians, to be able to offer an explanation that was enlightening.

bishopblack

Asked by bishopblack at 2:56 AM on May. 7, 2011 in Religious Debate

• There's so much to be said on this subject! There were 6 trials of Jesus: 3 took place before Jewish Authourities (Annas, Caiaphas, the Supreme Court). 3 were before Roman authorities (Pilate, Herod, Pilate again). Both Jews and Romans played a part in Jesus' death, but it was the Roman soldiers that actually nailed Him to the cross.
    I personally don't know why some people feel the way they do toward the Jews. Jesus was King of the Jews! And the Jews are God's chosen people.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 8:36 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Jews were also the very first Christians.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 7:41 AM on May. 7, 2011

• It's not so much that the Jews of Christ's time are "to blame" for Christ death that is significant, it is that Christ did come to fulfill a prophecy for Israel (at that time the Jewish people) and the very ones He came to save are the ones that chanted "Crucify! Crucify!" and, when given the choice, chose to pardon the sins of Barabas - a murderer - over Christ. But He loved them anyway,died for them anyway, and the first Christians were by an overwhelming majority Jewish.

BTW, though Christ fulfilled a promise to Israel, he also extended the salvation to ANYONE - Jew or Gentile - who would follow Him.

No matter who you are: living, Christ loved you; dying, Christ saved you; buried, Christ carried your sins far away; rising, Christ justified you, freely and forever.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:07 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Judas betrayed him the Romans killed him.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:25 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Like pinkdragon 36 said, the Jews didn't kill him, the Romans did... I think the problem may be because Jews don't believe in Him... But I don't understand the mentality of hating the Jews or being angry with them, because they are God's chosen people... Even though they refuse to accept His Son, they are God's... And they WILL one day accept Jesus.... hopefully before it's too late, but that's another debate. I just don't see how anyone can claim to love God, but hate His people... Or even be angry at them... Frustrated, maybe? Sorry, I'm also not among the antisemites, so I can't really clarify, only speculate.
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 5:00 AM on May. 7, 2011

• It is due to ignorance. The Jews rejected him, but that was part of the prophecy, so he expected that. The Romans were the ones who killed him. Many people just don't even know their own religion.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:28 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I'm not real sure about names, but from what I remember growing up was that he was sent to the Jews they did not want to kill him in case he was "Gods son" and then sent him to the Romans so that they could be the ones to judge. The Jewish religion, if I'm not mistaken, does not believe that Jesus was Gods son, they believe he was just a man, a carpenter. That when the "True coming" does happen that everyone will see it and it will be the end. I like your question though, it's been asked in my social circle many times.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:50 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I think the early Catholic church was responsible for the whole Jews killed Jesus thing. It was racism, pure and simple, and had nothing to do with who killed Jesus and everything to do with money, power, and differences in culture. I believe the Catholics have apologized for this hate rhetoric as have other churches.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 10:11 AM on May. 7, 2011

•  

God The Father allowed the people, both Jews & Romans to be what they were. The Jewish leaders were "large & in-charge" among the Jewish people. They wanted to remain in charge & Christ was a Threat to them.  He had taught in "their" temple & people were listening to Him, for as the Word says, "He taught as One having Authority." They were afraid He would reveal their True motives & they'd lose their high position & power over the people. The Romans only "played their part to fulfill Old Testiment Prophicies.... God allowed things to unfold just as He & Christ already knew they would & were prepared for!  This was the Only answer to save the Lost & dieing world!  Ultimately, No one killed Christ Gave His Precious Life for me & you, Thank You my Lord!!!

turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 9:01 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I'm pretty sure because they didn't believe Jesus was well....Jesus! The Son of God.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 7:52 AM on May. 7, 2011