Do women always experience their water breaking when in labor?

nic0ley0

Asked by nic0ley0 at 6:42 AM on May. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Not always, I mean it's a part of it but with my first, it did it on it's own. I thought I started to pee myself ! There wasn't any pain, just a "trickle." On my second one I was in labor cause I could feel all the pain and then they broke my water. Hope that helps answer your question.

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:46 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Most women will end up having their water broken by their doctor after they have gone into labor. It is not as common for a woman to have her water break before labor has started, and gush all over, like in the movies. However, I can say that mine did break like that, and luckily I was at home!
    Danda08

Answer by Danda08 at 6:48 AM on May. 7, 2011

• No...My water broke and I did not have my son until the next day at 5:20 pm. There wasn't any pain .....
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 6:52 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Only in my 3rd pregnancy did my water break, I was already wearing maternity pads so there was no mess.
    asha81

Answer by asha81 at 6:57 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Mine nor my best friend's broke on our own, we both had it one at the hospital after we were already in labor. My aunts and mother all had it break naturally as it does on tv or in the movies.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 6:59 AM on May. 7, 2011

• My water was broken by the Dr. at the hospital with all 3 of my children.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:10 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Nope. When I went into labor with my first son, I was dialating and having contractions and my water never broke, so the doctor broke it for me and it was one of the grossest feelings ever!
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 8:06 AM on May. 7, 2011

• My OB had to break my water both times. The first time she broke my was (with my oldest) she had been trying to induce for for 12 hours and nothing was working so she broke my water, 4 and a half hours later I was holding my baby girl in my arms. With my second they had to break my water because she was in distress and they needed her out quick...I had her 5 minutes later.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:35 AM on May. 7, 2011

• No, I was in labor for 12 hours and my water never broke. My doctor never broke it for me either because he didn't wanna put my son in any more distress. I ended up having an emergency c-section, though.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 9:50 AM on May. 7, 2011

• No, if you happen to be in the bath or shower when your water breaks you may have npo idea at the time. Some women go in for a c-section before there water ever breaks. And in very rare occasions a baby wil be born vaginally still inclosed in the bag of water. For many this is considered to be a great sign of good luck for you and the baby!
    Motherdragon

Answer by Motherdragon at 9:58 AM on May. 7, 2011