CARSEAT QUESTION

I HAD NEVER HERD OF ERF OR EH UNTIL I JOINED CAFEMOM!

When will or when did you forward face you child(ren)? I just would like to see how many people really rear face past 1. I think some of the people on this site are a little extream when they rear face until the child is 5 yrs old and so on.

nikkik526

Asked by nikkik526 at 7:15 AM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• My oldest is 4 1/2 and she was forward facing at 1 ( I had never heard of ERF then)

My 2 1/2 yr old just got a new car seat and is now forward facing.

My 15 month old is still Rear Facing and will be until 2-3 yrs old.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:27 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I forward faced my son when he was too big for his carrier carseat thing. He was about 9 months old and already walking.

What people dont realize that it doesnt matter which way you face the child, it wont save them from impact from any direction. They may not fly through the windsheild if they are facing the back, but their head can still end up on the street. I can also keep an eye on my kid when he is facing forward. I can hand him things he wants, I can see him and make sure he's not choking or see why he is crying if he is.

If people had some knowledge of physics they wouldnt be so ignorant to rear face their child for that long for no reason.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 7:44 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Both of my kids carseats were turned around soon after their first birthdays.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:45 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I have two sons that are still RFing- they are 4 and 2. My 6 year old is still harnessed, and my 8 year old is still in a booster.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:01 AM on May. 7, 2011

• My first was turned around at 1, and my second was turned at 30 pounds.... he was 2.5 at that point. People who ERF are not "ignorant" and dont rear face for "no reason". It is PROVEN safer. Google it, and find the many, many facts about ERF. Dont be so "ignorant" ;)
    MommaRoxanne

Answer by MommaRoxanne at 8:03 AM on May. 7, 2011

• OH, and for the record... The reason my first was turned around at one is because I WAS ignorant and didnt know any better. My second son would have been kept RF even longer, however his seat only RF to 30 pounds, and I simply did not have another 200-300 bux to put out on a new seat.
    MommaRoxanne

Answer by MommaRoxanne at 8:05 AM on May. 7, 2011

• my 3 daughters were facing forward at 1 year and 20 pounds, not a day sooner or later.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:12 AM on May. 7, 2011

• What people dont realize that it doesnt matter which way you face the child, it wont save them from impact from any direction. They may not fly through the windsheild if they are facing the back, but their head can still end up on the street. I can also keep an eye on my kid when he is facing forward. I can hand him things he wants, I can see him and make sure he's not choking or see why he is crying if he is.

yes, clearly the American Academy of Pediatrics and the National Highway Safety Adminstration know nothing, which is why they both recent released statements supporting ERF until 2 or the limit of the carseat.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:17 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Among the changes in AAP guidelines for 2011:

•Children should ride rear-facing to age 2
    •Children should use a booster seat until they have reached 4 feet 9 inches tall and are between 8 and 12 years old.
    •Children should ride in the rear of a vehicle until they are 13 years old.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:18 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I turned my kids around at 20 pounds. DS was 15 months DD was 2.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:27 AM on May. 7, 2011