Thoughts ladies?

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/12/how-the-bible-was-used-to-justify-slavery-abolitionism/?iref=allsearch

Asked by older at 8:13 AM on May. 7, 2011 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Clicky.

It's interesting how the Bible can be used to justify or villainize all sorts of acts, depending on the wishes of those interpreting it.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:21 PM on May. 7, 2011

• "slaves" in the bible are not the same thing as what African Americans were. In the Bible, a slave was more of an endentured servant. Someone who had debt to another person and paid it off by working for them. Forcing people to work for you without reward, raping them, having their chldren automatically become slaves, is NOT the same thing! And to the first answer: the Lord loves all his children, but hates their sins. Homosexuality is a sin, just as stealing, lying, etc. Just because I lie does not mean he no longer loves me! I am a flawed person, but I will always be his child.
    Anonymous

• What Anon above said is correct. The slavery spoken of in the Bible is not at all the same as slavery in our time. The Bible should be read in context. Any written word can be taken out of context if you fail to read what comes before it and after it. Isolating one verse without reading what is before it and after it can cause some misunderstanding.

Also, when you study the Bible more deeply, you can learn more about the culture, time periods and places it referes to and which gives a broader understanding of the scriptures.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:02 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I was literally having a discussion with this about my family yesterday. Everybody translates the book differently. Last ngiht after my discussion, Bill Maher said the same thing!

The bible says to kill you neighbor if you see him working on a sunday. Does anyone actually do it?

Books like that teach morals, and they are not always good morals.

You can't tak the bible literally, and it also contradicts itself. People do the same thing with the bible today. Like that crazy church that everyone is talking about. They say god hates fags, but the bible also says that god loves all his children..do you see the problem?
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 8:19 AM on May. 7, 2011

• The Bible is something that can be used to justify whatever previous mentalities we have. That is how we find so many different faces of Christianity, from the more militant kind to the kind that is all inclusive and loving, even pacifist kind. It's all in how you choose to read and apply it, same with any other faith (look at our arguments about Islam).

I agree with not taking the Bible literally, it's all about understanding the historical context, the original language, ect, ect. It's not about what the Bible "reads", as a quote I really like states, but what the Bible is really trying to SAY....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:27 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Yes, xmama, I see the problem!

Comment by older (original poster) at 8:24 AM on May. 7, 2011

• It's all about context and using the old to justify and contrast the new. Using a single passage as a proof of anything is more often than not disingenuous
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:01 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I meant, done disingenuously
    adnilm

• Nowhere does the Bible condone slavery, but it recognizes its existence. Under Hebrew laws, slaves were treated differently from slaves in other nations. They were seen as human beings with dignity, and not as animals. Hebrew slaves took part in the religious festivals and rested on the Sabbath. In the NT, slavers was pretty widespread in the Roman Empire. In the early days, Christians didn't have the political power to change the slavery system. The Gospel begins to change social structures by changing the PEOPLE within those structures.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 8:24 PM on May. 7, 2011

• William Wilberforce (a Christian) was led by God to lead the abolishment of slavery in England. I agree with popzaroo. You can read about William Wilberforce here: William Wilberforce

RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 10:50 PM on May. 7, 2011