I'm 18 weeks pregnant. Is it too early to buy a carseat? How early into your pregnancy have you bought a car seat?

The one I want is on sale "this week only" (yeah right) but I do want to go ahead and get it. On the other hand, I'm only 18 weeks and won't need it until October. If something goes wrong between now and then, I won't be able to return it to the store that has only a 90 day return policy. Not that I'm expecting something to go wrong, I just know it can happen.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on May. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I got all of my stuff when it went on sale, It sat in the closet for 4 months. It will be fine!
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:45 AM on May. 7, 2011

• wait. Car seats expire, so you want to get the most you can out of it and not lose at least 5 months worth of use while it sits in your closet.s
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:40 AM on May. 7, 2011

• its unnlickly at your point something will go wrong but have you had your 2nd scan yet ?
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:41 AM on May. 7, 2011

• i bought mine early too and got it all on sale....it was fine that it sat in the closet lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I just bought my sister a car seat it is the newest kind it is 5-100 pounds rear facing to 40 pounds and only need 1 cause it has a base everyone else can buy car seats expire 5 years after purchase or 60 seconds after impact (car crash) the new recommendations are 2 years rear facing and the lift out infant seat is going out of style the AAP is tired of parents never carrying their babies and causing head/brain issues so within the next 5-10 years you'll see the infant seat stop being made (I just went to this conference 2 weeks ago then bought my sister her seat who's not due until Sept 10th)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:47 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Personally I'd wait. Who knows perhaps that one or a better one will be on sale closer to your EDD. Its certainly not the only sale your going to find from now till then.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:00 AM on May. 7, 2011

• You are past the "red zone" for a miscarriage. Stil,l I would wait till ~6 months unless you found the perfect one and it's on sale too!
    Motherdragon

Answer by Motherdragon at 9:42 AM on May. 7, 2011

• As far as "expiration dates" for car seats, it's 5 years (if they are left in the vehicle throughout that time). This is because of the extreme heat and cold that the car seat will be put though throughout the years. If your car seat is stored away in a climate controlled location it can last 10 or even 20 years before the integrity of the plastic will be effected enough.

Motherdragon

Answer by Motherdragon at 9:51 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I would go ahead. It's much easier to spread things out over the course of several months rather than get them all at once, plus it's one you want, AND it's on sale! Go for it! I think it will be just fine :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:14 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Go ahead! Do whatever you think is right. Especially if there is a sale on the car seat you're wanting! The expiration is 5 years so you'll have plenty of time to use it :) Nothing wrong with being prepared. One less thing you'll have to worry about later!! Good luck :)
    oliviahw

Answer by oliviahw at 10:14 AM on May. 7, 2011