Question for moms who spank/are not against spanking.

If you spank, or are not opposed to spanking, I'd like your opinion on this. DH thinks it's ok to smack our 3 yr old and 5 yr old, in the face. I disagree, I think you should never slap a child across the face, if you're trying to discipline, a quick swat on the butt, or tap on the hand is sufficient. We've clashed over this issue for a while now, but he's never actually DONE it before last night. What do YOU think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it's crazy to slap anyone in the face and that it us totally unacceptable to slap a child in the face- regardless of the situation. I would take my small kids out if the house for the day and let dh relax. Never let him do it again- if he does, spend a few days at grandmas. Abuse should be a non-negotiable.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:13 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Smacking the face is not a spanking or a "slap of the wrist". End of story. That is a bitch slap (sorry for cussing but I'm being frank). You do not bitch slap your children even if you do spank for discipline. I do not feel it is "OK" or acceptable. Aside for the potential for leaving a mark that EVERYONE will see- you are hitting your kid in an unprotected and very sensitive area.

meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 9:14 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Never in the face
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 9:14 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I disagree with the face. The buttocks are the only place to spank.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:16 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Never in the face.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:17 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I do spank on the butt when I feel is necessary, which isn't very often. I do not slap in the face though, I feel like that is over the top.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:18 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I think that slapping your kid in the face is wrong. Spanking them on the butt (OR AS I CALL IT, AN ASS WHOOPING) is just fine when its necessary. I would slap a teenager in the face if they did something completely absurd. You can damage a lot of stuff on a small child if you slap them in the face. The butt is a different story. Hands too, I wont hit my kid in the hand because those tiny bones might break. My sons 1 1/2, and the only thing I do to discipline him (his father taught him to hit people which I'm really pissed about) is to ignore him. I tell him to walk away, and he does. I give him a light push to get him started, and he sits on the floor and cries because he knows he did something bad and now I dont want to play with him.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:24 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I spank ON THE BUTT only when it is necessary other then that, I use time out. Which works for my child. I would never, NEVER hit him in the face. It is degrading and is abuse IMO.

Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:30 AM on May. 7, 2011

• No! I do not think slapping the face is apporpriate at ALL!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:36 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Slapping in the face is NOT ok. The butt or a smack on the hand. NEVER the face.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:15 AM on May. 7, 2011