Do you let your kid believe in mosters?

Ever since my son came back from his mother (bio) he has this fear of sleeping...we had him 50% of the time, but since BM got kicked out of her house, we have him all the time, and he will wake up several times a night crying because there are 'monsters' in his room...and i think that BM encourages it...I dont know how to help him, or how to stop it. I keep telling him that monsters arent real and that there is nothing to be afraid of, we look under his bed, in closet, in dresser, etc...so what would you do??

missamanda86

Asked by missamanda86 at 12:47 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well my daughter is 2 fixing to be 3 next month and she started having this thing with monsters. So every night we (dh and I) go to tuck her in and we show her under the bed and in the closet and we just blow air left right up down and say no monsters can come around.  and she shares a room with her brother who is 18 months and we let her blow him to "protect" him and we have NOT had a problem since.  I'm not the type person to say there is or isnt I've always heard that little kids and babies can see spirits so I don't try to say Oh it's gone or it's not here.  because i honestly dont know what she felt or seen.  good luck and good job taking care of the child some step moms aren't concerned that's nice of you!

1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 12:58 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• i dont let my daughter believe in monsters..shes tried the whole "im scared, theres monsters in my closet" thing, and i just told her they werent real..usually only happens if she watches a movie and theyre talking about them, so i took a febreeze bottle, and made a sign and put
    "monsters-b-gone" on it, and if she ever says anything about monsters i just spray that bottle around her room and they dont bother her again..worked for me...its worth a shot!!..plus it makes the room smell good..lol :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:03 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Ok, Sesame Street was a huge help for our kids getting over this. Most things there are monsters and their is not a scary or mean one in the bunch...so I turned it on and said look there's Elmo...what a good nice monster! It worked for us...just keep reminding them monsters are nice ans wont hurt.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:45 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• When our kids even bring up monsters, I say "we don't have monsters at our house!". If they need more info I say "you know that guy that comes here and sprays all over the inside and outside of our house (bug guy)? Well he keeps all the bugs and all the monsters away" Plus one time the bug guy was at the house and I got him to play along. So monsters really haven't been much of an issue for us because we don't feed the fear. It's just "nope, we don't have them".
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My son got all about monsters after watching Monsters, Inc, but I told him that there are no monsters in our house because if they'd have to get past his mommy first, and then I made a big deal (using him as the monster, of course) of how I pick them up and twirl them around and tickle them and then throw them out of the house. It became a game and turned from scary to fun and we've not had a problem since.
    BohdanMommy

Answer by BohdanMommy at 8:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2008