Budgeting and Finances

Who handles the all the budgeting and finances in your home?

You
DH/SO

How often do you set up a new family budget for you and your family?

In my home I am in charge of the budgeting and finances. I make sure everything gets paid and everything is taken care of. We generally stick to the same budget every month, but if something happens and one of the vehicles needs a repair then I sit down and work on a new budget and add in the needed repair or whatever needs to be taken care of for that month.

Holtswife24

Asked by Holtswife24 at 10:09 AM on May. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yeah, that's how it is in our house too. I handle all the finances and we have a normal budget that we stick with, but if we know something is coming up I work it into the budget.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:17 AM on May. 7, 2011

• It's sort of a group project. We try to do it together, but I end up being the one that keeps track most of the time. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:22 AM on May. 7, 2011

• My husband and I don't make a formal budget....
    We take 10% right of the top for church tithes, 10% after that for personal savings that we DO NOT TOUCH unless it's an emergency like your example, car repairs. After that we pay all our bills and then buy food. Anything left goes for gas and other necessities.
    He pays everything and with what we have left I shop frugally for clothes, shoes and whatever else we may NEED.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 10:47 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I handle all the money, bills, savings and what not in our house. I have a set budget every month. The cars all get oil changes and looked at any time there is even a small worry so we can try and insure they are running as long as possible without being hit with a large bill later.
    I dont usually redo our budget unless Dh gets a raise.

Answer by gemgem at 2:52 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Hubby and I do the budget together. If we have an emergency we take money from our savings.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 2:54 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I take care of all that stuff. I'm trying to get him to pay more attention. The budget is pretty basic right now as we're both on disability. Just keeping stuff current is all we can do right now. Once I'm back to work I'm starting the Debt Snowball and getting a lot more strict on the budget.
    pampire

Answer by pampire at 8:29 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I do all the financial planning, bill paying etc in our house. My husband does do the grocery shopping though when Im done with the menu planning and grocery list. It saves me from having to take the kids to the store and saves gas since the store is on his way home from work.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 8:32 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I do! Mostly because I like doing that kind of stuff! We both agree on the budget after I write it up (like you said OP, it's pretty much a copy paste from month to month) and I handle the day to day stuff like balancing the check book and paying the bills.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:05 PM on May. 8, 2011