What do use to get rid of this dry skin!

My son is 13 months old and a few months back he started to develop a rash on his back and lower neck, its not big its just spotty on his back, and a patch on his forearm. We have used everything from Cortizone to coconut oil and bag balm, that just seems to soothe the rash ..., but not take it away i just takes down the "inflamation".we have kept the same laundry soap his entire life... We though it might be a milk allergy but we have been on soy and no dairy for a month and a half now and it is a little better, but he gets wierd flare up maybe once a day, he gets a bright red spot on his left cheek but goes away after an hour or so.

kgrine

Asked by kgrine at 10:12 AM on May. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has eczema and I feel like I've used everything too, but Vaseline although sticky and greasy seems to keep his skin hydrated for the longest. Good luck.
    BrandyTheMommy2

Answer by BrandyTheMommy2 at 10:20 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Check with his doctor it sounds like eczema or psoriasis , they have special creams and lotions for those conditions, you can also google both those and look at the pictures and compare but it sounds like eczema if it is the doctor will prescribe cream because their skin always has to be covered with the cream because of the rash their skin is very sensitive good luck mama
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 10:21 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Thanks we have used that too, it just sucks to see them itch it, I really hope he grows out of it! Thanks Ill keep trying that!
    kgrine

Comment by kgrine (original poster) at 10:22 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Aww, poor kid! My son gets the same way, with very dry itchy skin. He's got scratch marks all over because he can't stop itching. Definitely need to keep the nails clipped short. Just this past week we saw the doc again for this, it's been going on for years. We've used Eucerin and it's almost like that didn't work anymore. So I just bought Aquaphor, and it seems to help. We also used Aquaphor in the past, but switched to Eucerin when that didn't work, now back to it. It's petrolatum, like vaseline but not so .... I can't think of a word! Not so greasy? Also, Dove soap. Free and clear laundry detergent (even though like you, I haven't changed detergents), Zyrtec every morning, benadryl sometimes at night if he seems to be scratching really bad. Baby shampoo on his hair because it's gentler than what we had been using I guess.
    Goodluck! I KNOW how much it sucks to see them like that :(
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:30 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I have started to use the Johnson and Johnson Naturals that seemed to help alot! I have used aquaphor and aveeno and EVERYTHING out there.I am so relieved to know that I am not the only one Thank you all soo much! It means alot to me it really does!
    kgrine

Comment by kgrine (original poster) at 10:33 AM on May. 7, 2011

• If you're already treating it from the inside by avoiding dairy and giving him probiotics and supplementing with healthy oils, then perhaps the eczema is being exacerbated by the toiletry products you are using. Be aware that many, even those meant to treat eczema and those formulated for babies, have ingredients in them known to make the condition worse. Stay away from Vaseline and Aquafor and anything else that has petrochemicals, parabens, SLS, phthalates, etc. Also, be very leary of Rx creams like Elidel; they are known to cause cancer.

Switch to natural products (you can even make your own quite easily and inexpensively) and see if there's a difference. I treated my DD for 10 years and this was the thing that finally kicked it for good. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on May. 7, 2011