I need help with my almost 4yr potty training

I son will be 4 in July. he was practically potty trained and has started going in his underwear instead of the toliet. im getting tired of going through so many pairs a day and even at daycare. i also have a 3yr and 6 month old. everyone says its bc his brothers are still in diapers(my 3yr is bc he is disabled). i need help i can't keep affording pull-ups or diapers, i am a single mom with no help from thier dad. i dontknow what to do i have tried everything and getting very tired of it.

blinksweetp

Asked by blinksweetp at 10:32 AM on May. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried a reward? My niece was really regressing and she luved M&ms so everytime she went she got a few.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:37 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Lots of praise when he does go on the potty, and no scolding when he doesn't. Have a PeePee Party when he does go in the potty, you could get a cupcake or muffin (anything) and stick a candle in it and sing to him. LOL. Same for poopy. Make signs to hang up congratulating him. Balloons too. What kid doesn't like a party?
    The diaper fairy can come at night when he's asleep and take all of his diapers and pull-ups and leave new undies with whatever character he likes (of course, you hold onto them, just hide). What kid doesn't like getting new stuff?
    I'm just throwing out ideas I've heard from friends that have worked. May seem silly, but sometimes you've gotta think like a kid. Goodluck :) I know it's frustrating, but try not to show it.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:41 AM on May. 7, 2011

• i have tried everything i have tried everything from rewards to parties going out to eat. i just am lost on what to do now. he knows when he has to go but doesnt feel the need to tell me or he tells me he has to go after he does it.
    blinksweetp

Comment by blinksweetp (original poster) at 10:45 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Are you leaving him in his underwear?
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:47 AM on May. 7, 2011

• yes i am i have even tried havin ghim clean himself after he does but he keeps doing it. im not sure if i need to take him to the doctors about this or not.
    blinksweetp

Comment by blinksweetp (original poster) at 10:49 AM on May. 7, 2011

• It sounds like he's seen you spend "time" he misses out on, witih his siblings. Try having him help you with the other children's diapers. When you take one off, show it to him & say, "OOO, look at this, doesn't it stink (if it's poopy) stress how nasty it is, and ask him if he would like to have underpants, so he won't have that mess on him, making it His choice. Then ask if he would like to use the "Big Boy Potty" telling him that they are too small to use it yet, but he's just the right age, he's Old enough, cause he's the Big Brother and  will  teach the little ones how someday. 

turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 6:47 PM on May. 7, 2011

• WE LEFT OUR SON NAKED AT HOME.
    WE NOTICED THAT UNDERPANTS FELT LIKE A DIAPER TOO.
    SO HE WOULD WET HIS UNDERWARE.
    I SEE THAT THAT COULD BE HARD AT DAYCARE OR OUT IN PUBLIC.
    DO THE WORK AT HOME AND YOU SHOULD SEE THE REWARDS OUT.
    BE PATIENCE POTTY TIME IS NOT EASY.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
    TRACY1977

Answer by TRACY1977 at 8:33 PM on May. 7, 2011