Why does 2 inches mean 10+ to stylists?

I went to get a new haircut today and told the stylist that taking off a couple of inches in length was okay. She said 'you won't even notice the amount I'm taking off'.
Okay, well when I walked into the salon my hair was to my waist, when I walked out it was above the bottom of my shoulder blades.
Is this standard practice to not care what the client wants? I'm not happy at all.

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 11:15 AM on May. 7, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• happens all the time! they say they will take about a inch off, and they easily take 5.
    I'd like to hear from some hair stylists as to why this continuously happens. I think maybe that they don't really know just how long a inch really is!
    DH had the opposite problem. He went to get his hair cut for locks of love and the stupid stylist cut it a inch too short to donate! talk about sickening!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:19 AM on May. 7, 2011

• This has happened to me SO many times! Maybe they should have a math prerequisite in beauty school!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 7, 2011

• my combs have inches on them, so if someone says two inches i so them what it looks like. some peoples two inches are more like a half an inch! when my hair was down to my butt i would make a huge deal to them about only a trim. that i would be pissed if they cut too much off and i will be watching them. it's never happened to me.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:24 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Its because they don't listen lol, when you say trim they get happy and try to experiment on your head I've had that happen so many times
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 11:18 AM on May. 7, 2011

• My stylist has never done to this me, nor would she ever do this to me. Then again, I've been with my stylist longer than I have been with my husband.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:16 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I'm with you. I haven't had a stylist EVER because they keep doing this to me. I now trim my own hair so if I want an inch off, I can take off an inch, not six.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 11:24 AM on May. 7, 2011

• it was terrible! he got it cut again about a week ago and insisted that it be measured out right in front of him before allowing the girl to get anywhere near it with the scissors! it still makes me mad, but at least this time he was able to donate it!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:25 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I showed the stylist how much to take off. I don't trust the inches reference and doggone if the witch didn't do what SHE wanted and cut it off to where I looked like a guy when I walked out! It was THAT short! I was in shock. I couldn't even speak. She kept saying her way was better and I'd learn to like it. NO I have not! That's just wrong when they do that.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:34 PM on May. 7, 2011

• When I went to Cosmetology School, they told me to take off less than was asked, and if the client wasnt happy, then take off more. You can fix that easily, but if you take off too much..you've just lost business.

I try not to go to salons.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 11:21 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I usually can't get them to take off enough. I have long hair, too, and when I want to cut a lot off they don't seem to believe me.
    la1118

Answer by la1118 at 11:31 AM on May. 7, 2011