How old do you think a teen should be....

before being allowed to go to the mall with just friends? I know it depends on maturity also. What would you say would be a general age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I let my kid at 13.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:35 AM on May. 7, 2011

• If they have a cell phone so they can check in and you trust them to check in, 13. That's when my brother and sister were allowed to be dropped at the mall, but they would never drop us off alone. We either gave the friend a ride, got a ride with the friend or we didn't go. Who knows what could happen to a thirteen year old trying to find their group of friends in the mall. :(
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:37 AM on May. 7, 2011

• 13 or 14
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:46 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I don't think a kid has a need to go to the mall unless he has money to spend. As an employee of the mall, and someone who now owns multiple businesses, I felt like a babysitter to many, many kids who had nothing better to do than to get in trouble at the mall. If you're child is not there to spend money and shop, don't let them hang out there. It's only inviting problems and it's a pain the butt.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:56 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I don't think they should be able to go to the mall either. I'm only 20 and I know my mom would have never left me at the mall at age 13 or 14 or even 15 for that matter even if I did have a cell phone. There are so many weirdos in this world, and there are tons of things they can go do and be supervised rather than be at a mall by themselves. Kids are up to no good when alone in places like that. If your kid isn't its a good chance their friends are and its only a matter of time before they talk them into doing the same. Plus I've worked at a mall before and it's not a childcare service. I used to hate seeing the kids walking around without supervision they have no business to be in there unless they are having a shopping spree!
    oliviahw

Answer by oliviahw at 12:00 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Good Lord-I have child that is 14, we live in a good town and she is a very well behaved child. She has a cell phone and I drop her and her friends off at the mall. NOBODY is capable of talking my daughter into doing anything bad, she has a head on her shoulders and she has a brain. My daughter doesn't fall into the "kids are up to no good when alone in places like that." She's never been in trouble NOR do I expect anyone to babysit her. She is capable of taking care of herself!
    Anonymous

• I agree with above and I'm the OP. There isn't much to do in our area, and that is where many kids go to socialize.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:16 PM on May. 7, 2011

• 13 or 14 and we have cell phones to check up on them but thank god shes only 5 so she has a few more years to go
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 12:17 PM on May. 7, 2011

• my mom let us go with friends when we were 15 maybe 14.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:28 PM on May. 7, 2011

• BTW -thanks for the replies so far. Another question would be how much time you would let them to hang-out(socialize)there?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:28 PM on May. 7, 2011