Do you think an Aethiest and a Catholic

could get married, be totally happy and not have any regrets? I know a Catholic girl who is with an Aethist guy. It doesn't bug him at all but she believes in the afterlife and she believes that when you die, you are with your loved ones. I'm wondering if this will cause problems....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on May. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My friend is Catholic and her husband is an Atheist. They've been married for nearly 30 years and religion (or lack thereof) has never been a problem. She used to take the kids to Mass on Sundays and he would stay home. He didn't care if the kids went to Mass, as long as she allowed them to explore other beliefs as well. If people are honest about their beliefs from the beginning, and they have honest discussions bout it prior to marriage, there shouldn't be an issue with it,
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:00 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My husband and I did and are still enormously happy. It is possible as long as both are respectful of the other's views.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:52 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Only if they let it! I have faith, my husband is agnostic, never been a problem.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:53 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Well there is a difference between agnostic and aethiest....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:53 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Yes. I think the only time it becomes a problem is if one of the two starts to try and push their beliefs onto the other. But if they can respect their differences then it shouldn't be a problem.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:56 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I am Catholic and my husband does not believe in God. It works out fine, as long as we respect each other's right to have and believe in our own spiritualities.

Problems only arise if you start feeling like you are more entitled to your opinion than your spouse is to theirs . . . but that belief causes much more than religious strife in a marriage, and the breaker for the marriage is the actual global stubbornness and disregard of the spouse.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:10 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Well, I think her fear is that he won't be able to join her in the afterlife......
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:11 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I think as long as they know where their lines are drawn that its totally possible to have a long lasting and happy and loving marriage.
    As long as that respect is there should be ok.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:53 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I think things will be just fine....My husband was wiccan and I was christian...never had a problem...I did want to learn more about his religion when i found out I was pregnant so I knew what he would be teaching our child as he got older but after I learned more about it then I converted...it just seemed right for me.....My husband wouldnt even teach me about it lol....he didnt want the way that "he puts things to make it sound great" to effect how I felt about my own religion. So he gave me some books to read up on and I just fell in love with it lol.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:15 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I think it depends on the individuals. Some couples could make it just fine, others would have issues. It's all about the level of respect each gives the other and so forth. As long as they accept each other for who they are and what they believe (or don't believe) and don't place any expectations on the other changing their beliefs for them, I don't see how it could be too much of an issue....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:28 PM on May. 7, 2011