The terrible twos! (vent)

Good lord have they hit with gusto! He used to be so well behaved but all of a sudden, when he doesn't get what he wants or doesn't want a nap he turns into something out of the exorcist! It's always either end of the spectrum. There is NO middle ground with him. He is either an angel or a child possessed. Like right now, he's down for a nap so we can take him out to the park for lunch and he is not having it. He is screaming like I beat him with a red hot curling iron! He has NEVER acted this way for nap. I'm about ready to sound proof his room.
It's even worse because he is smart. He has figured out that he can get onto the counter if he pushes a chair over to it. We had made two cherry pies for MIL's Barbecue and they were on the counter wrapped up to go. I told DS he would have to wait to have a piece until we were at the barbecue. I was in the bedroom folding laundry and I come out to see the pie on the floor. "How did you get the pie down!" And he stomped on it!
I know the time outs are working and he'll get past this but some days I just want to lock him in his room, put a pillow over my face and screeeaaaam!
Just wanted to vent and maybe hear some stories so I know I'm not alone.

MamaStuart

Asked by MamaStuart at 11:53 AM on May. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It gets worse when they are 3.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:54 AM on May. 7, 2011

• I understand. My once sweet baby boy now screams at the top of his lungs for no apparent reason. Hits and bites over and over pinches throws things and will not take his naps anymore. He is not this way all the time but it SEEMS like all the time when he is acting this way. It takes a lot of patients.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:58 AM on May. 7, 2011

• Yup, the 3's are worse. Buckle up and prepare for a wild ride :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:02 PM on May. 7, 2011

• this to will pass and when you are just getting comfortable the become teenagers......oh the wonderful world of moms....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:25 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I thought the 3s were a bit more trying than 2 but my children were never the way you described (not even as teenagers). If they didn't like something, they'd storm off and stew for a few minutes. If they got into something they weren't supposed to, whether they had been told before hand or not, there would be a consequence (a privilege would be taken away); they learned pretty quick not to do it again. If they threw a toy or a stuffed animal, it would be taken away from them and they would have to earn it back. Time outs did nothing for us so we didn't use those. Even at that young age, they knew what was acceptable behavior and not. I cannot imagine what I would have done to them if they acted the way you describe!

So, will you still give in and take him to the park? Did you make him clean up the pie? I don't know your methods but be sure you're not enabling the behavior in any way.
    Anonymous

• The pie thing didn't happen today and time outs work for us. They always have. But he's just testing the boundaries. Children test you to see if you will be consistent at this age and we always are. I know the time outs are working because he definitely doesn't like them (cries the whole time) and then that specific behavior isn't repeated again. He doesn't take things off the counters anymore. He I do take away thrown toys and he is at the age where he needs to be TAUGHT to walk away when he is angry and go sort himself out so when he throws a temper tantrum he gets put in his room and told "It's not fair to ruin everyone else's day by screaming in front of them. You will stay in here until you calm down." And he listens. So, annon, before you judge people's parenting styles, remember that every child is different and every family uses the system that works for them. I didn't ask for opinions on how I parent.
    MamaStuart

Comment by MamaStuart (original poster) at 12:52 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My son is 2 and is in his terrible twos. I feel the same way you do. When he is mad the whole world is crashing. My son has a terrible temper. My son is much better to deal with when he has had a nap but when he doesn't he is a terrible child. My husband and I can't do family things because my son embarrasses us out in public with his temper tantrums. I seriously wish I could just fast forward through this stage.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 2:34 PM on May. 7, 2011

• sounds like i have lots of fun to look forward too having a boy lol. i am prego with my son he is due at the beginning of august, but i already have a 3 year old daughter and she is very well behaved when we take her anywhere
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 9:27 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My son is 13 months old and if i dont let him have something he wants at that time and he is wanting me or something i have and cant give him, he throws himself on the floor. My husband was the same way when he was a baby, at least thats what his mom said, but she said her doctor told her to throw the fit with him and it wont take long for them to stop. she swears by this!
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 10:12 PM on May. 7, 2011