How much of your household budget goes towards gas?

Round-trip airfare from New York to Los Angeles. More than a dozen dinners for two at Applebee's. Two 16 GB iPod nanos.

These are just a few of the things you could have bought if you weren't spending $368.09 a month on gasoline.That's the average amount American households spent on gas in April, according to an exclusive analysis of data by the Oil Price Information Service for CNNMoney.

The study, which compared average gas prices with median incomes nationwide, also showed that U.S. households spent nearly 9% of their total income on gas last month.

That's more than double what the average American family spent just two years ago, when gas prices were hovering around $2.05 a gallon.

"Gas prices have just skyrocketed," said Fred Rozell, director of retail pricing at OPIS.

After surging nearly 30% this year, the national average price for regular gasoline is less than 2 cents away from $4 a gallon. That's still below the all-time high of $4.114, but prices in many parts of the country have already risen to new records well above that level.

For drivers in some states, the pinch of high gas prices is particularly painful.

Mississippi tops the list, with the average household spening over 14% of their total income on gas last month.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:32 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• With my husband home we usually spend about $200 a month on gas, with him gone it's only $100. We're lucky to live only about 2 miles from work.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:34 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Too frickin much. We picked the wrong year to buy two brand new SUVs. We both work 30 miles away from home. We had to go with safety first. I guess I am lucky we do have the money to keep this up.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:36 PM on May. 7, 2011

• none. my df works outta state and uses a company truck, company pays for gas, and I dont have a car so I dont use any either:)))
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:37 PM on May. 7, 2011

• about 70 a week. So 280 a month. that's stretching it to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:37 PM on May. 7, 2011

• i try to average about 50$ a week on gas, so 200$ month......we learned to limit errands to one trip and car pool when we can......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:48 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I don't know how much my husband uses. I just spent $75 to fill up my Jeep..I'm so excited about its gas mileage...I got more than 24 miles to the gallon when I did my long route this week. I spend about $300 a month myself. Oh and before someone wants to bash about gas guzzling SUV's...the 2011 Jeep's are built in a green factory and considered eco-friendly..their gas mileage is much improved. :)
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:48 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I am not sure. I know it's more than two years ago. DH used to drive a company car and they paid for gas as well. He took a promotion to a different division and since he doesn't have to travel as much he drives his own car again and pays for his own gas. I am driving about half as much as I used to so I would say probably around $350-$400 a month for our two vehicles.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:56 PM on May. 7, 2011

• 200 a month. We have a truck so $50 only gets us half a tank!
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:01 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I currently spend $75/mo for one 20 gal tank(2.2% of my income), but work and daycare are both within 5 miles of my house...I've budgeted to be able to afford $100, but if gas price goes above $5 then I'm screwed
    Anonymous

• Hahaha! My dh, whose car gets 32mpg, is spending about 250 in gas EVERY 2 WEEKS!!!! He works an hour away... I fill up, maybe once... So another 75 onto that every 2 weeks. It's sucks, but dh only drives his car to work, and makes good money, so I can't really complain, yet!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:13 PM on May. 7, 2011