Relationship with child out of state/vistitations.

How old were your kids when your ex moved out of state?

How often do they go visit? Who pays for the traveling?

We are going to be making some changes within the next 2 months and I really need some advice. My son is 9 years old.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• It all depends some times you can not leave the state some times you need to pay if your the one moving look into all of the leagel stuff before you start packing
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 1:52 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My kid was 6 when she had to fly across the US for visits. We had to split the cost. It sucked royally and after 2 years I took him to court and had it changed. It was too hard on her.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:40 PM on May. 7, 2011

• emmyandisa..what is the set-up now? Is it skype, texts, calls, summer only?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:47 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I was a baby when my parents divorced. My dad got custody of me on my first birthday. We lived on the west coast, my mother lived in the mid-west. She was supposed to get visitations, and we had to call weekly to give her updates. I only remember flying to see her once, and HATED the visit. I was probably about 9. I was even younger when the weekly calls stopped. When I was old enough to talk on the phone myself my dad would hand me the phone and leave the room. All I remember was sitting on my dad's lap, hiding in his beard, sobbing as he hung up the phone. To this day I don't remember any of the conversations, just that one day.

I'm now 30 and my mother is still pissed and bitter that I couldn't/wouldn't put my life on hold for one summer now and then to go spend time with her, a stranger.

Talk with your daughter and see what she would like to do. She's old enough to add her input.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:07 PM on May. 7, 2011

• the father pays the visits and he must behaive himself
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:16 PM on May. 7, 2011