Hi I have two boys aged 17 and 18 and remarried 4 years ago and we would love to have another baby even though we are just over 40. Has anyone else done this ? and did they regret it or was it the best thing they have ever done.

missmeg1970

Asked by missmeg1970 at 1:49 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• As long as u r in good health,I say go for it!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:54 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My husb & I had similar circumstances. My boys were 11 & 13, and husb & I were 35 when we had our little girl. Ironically, his 19 y/o dau found out she was expecting the same time as we were! Talk about an eye opener- being a new mom & new (step) G-ma at the same time! I am so happy we did it tho! Not only did I finally get my little girl, I get to do all the fun stuff all over again. I think she helps keep us young too! :) I hope you are both cleared to try. GL! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:01 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I had my first at 39 & I'm 43 now & pregnant again & due shortly & I am Soooooo Excited! I feel great! As long as you have no major health issues then go for it! I feel like I'm in my 20's! Best wishes!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:02 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My kids are 17, 15 and 1. Mine totally wasn't on purpose but I know plenty of moms from my birthboard who are of "advanced maternal age" as they call us old biddies :) Go for it! I love it this time around- I'm more mature, more mellow, more patient ... just awesome.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 2:59 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My aunt had her first child at age 20 and then when she was 40 she started having kids again. She had one at 40, 42, 45 and 46.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:02 PM on May. 7, 2011

• ask the kids how they feel about it, some could get affended wondering why you want another one?
    if in good health go for it if not wait a few years youll have your grandkids!
    sydney1026

Answer by sydney1026 at 12:06 AM on May. 8, 2011

• All of the boys have been asking for a baby since we married, and grandkids will be lovely .... but this is something special for my DH and I to experience together ... we love children and are both teachers so its not like we are just missing the contact of little ones.... I just dont think everyone who is meant to be here.. is here ... if that makes sense
    missmeg1970

Comment by missmeg1970 (original poster) at 12:11 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Have you thought of adoption? There are alot of little or "not so little" ones out there waiting to be loved? Is it important that your child be from your own body?

My in-laws are in their 50's and have a 15 year old (my MIL thought she was going through menopause but found out she was pregnant), sometimes we feel like she's given up on him and they're just biding their time until he graduates. I know it's not the same my bil is from her second husband and she's now married to third husband. They really just seem tired.

It's just something to consider...adoption is a big commitment but an older child is easier to care for and won't be completley dependent on you for the next 18+ years.
    Tkelly3

Answer by Tkelly3 at 10:31 PM on May. 8, 2011