Did you make your vaccination decision based on fear?

I have seen that many people feel that those who choose to vaccinate do so out of fear of the diseases, while those who don't are afraid of the possible complications.

Did your base your decision off of fear?

I have a hard time believing that many moms base their decision off of fear. On either side of the argument I have talked to many many moms, and dads, and I get many many emotions, but rarely fear seems to be a motivator.

When we made our decision we based it off of research, family beliefs, our comfort levels, our philosophical beliefs, and much more. Fear was never really a factor. Fear motivated me to research and gave me the desire to make an educated decision, but in the end our decision was based off of what we truly believe was the right decision. We know that with either choice there are possible complications, but we never allowed that to be a motivating factor. After all, Its possible that we get in a car accident on the way to the store, that doesn't mean I should fear putting my kids in the car. I can't live my life in fear, I just don't have the energy to do that!!

So again, was fear a motivating factor for you in this decision? (regardless of what decision you made?)

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 2:42 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I do know some that are motivated by fear. I know this because they have told me. I know mothers in my autism support group say that they have not vaccinated their younger children out of fear of autism (ironically, I know at least 2 children who were not vaccinated that have the diagnosis anyway). These women never researched their decisions. I know that because I asked them. They were just told by a trusted family member of friend of the information.
    I know other mothers who have researched and from their research decided it wasn't for them. As they did their research, I respect their decision and I do not bash them for it.
    I do not think that all people who vaccinate do it out of fear, nor that all do not vaccinate do it out of fear, but I do think that there are people that fear is the exact reason they do what they do.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:15 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I based it off the fact I believe it is better for my kids to have their vaccinations than not. Plain and simple. I have ALWAYS believed this way and always will.

Answer by gemgem at 2:44 PM on May. 7, 2011

• We made our choice based on family history. I and my DH were both vaccinated on a Dr. recommended schedule. So we did our kids that way as well. IN retrospect I would have done a delayed schedule based on personal feelings, views and research. We really never even considered any other options.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:45 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I also believed it was something that needed to be done. I don't ever want to risk my childrens' health, nor anyone around me, out of fear.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:45 PM on May. 7, 2011

• No, it wasn't out of fear. I did it because it's best for my children,and my daughter did the same with my granddaughters. To be honest, before I joined CM, I had no idea parents didn't vaccinate. That may sound naieve (sp?), or dumb, but I honestly never knew it wasn't done, except by celebrities, and I honestly thought they only did it to get attention. I have learned, however, it's more common than I thought. This is a very personal decision, and parents shouldn't be made to feel bad, whether they decide to or not.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 2:57 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I do not vaccinate either....the PEDIATRICIAN vaccinates. @@ Get it?
    Anyway, my parents had the baby doctor vaccinate me, I had the doctors vaccinate my kids, my kids are having THEIR kids vaccinated . ANd ....NOBODY is afraid . WE just have enough information to know that vaccinations save lives. It s that simple.
    (AND by the way,I don't think Mercola has any right to brainwash young,naive Moms...he is a QUACK!)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:59 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I vaccinated my now 12 year old because it was just what was done. When he was 3 he was diagnosised with autism. I had heard there were some theories that vaccines caused it. After I researched the issue, I felt (before it was proven false) that the theory was wrong. I began to hear other concerns about vaccinations and did more research. Based on all I learned, i decided it was worth vaccinating my LO (who will be 2 in 3 weeks).
    What I dislike is those who try to make me feel bad about my decision, even though it was an educated one.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:03 PM on May. 7, 2011

• No. I based it off the fact that I was never immunized and know exactly how it feels to have those diseases. My children are vaccinated.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 3:07 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I made my decision after talking to my doctor about the pros and cons and deciding that the benefits of vaccinating far outweighed the risks and that not vaccinating had really no benefits in itself and the only pro was avoiding a possible complication that is extremely rare to begin with.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:18 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Your question and reasoning do not make sense. Everyone does everything in their lives based basically on fear. I vaccinate because I do not want my children to contract and suffer from the diseases we inoculate for. So, I fear them getting sick. I also buckle my seat belt, refrigerate my food, brush my teeth, and take prenatal vitamins out of fear of a possible accident, food poisoning, cavities, and birth defects. People who choose not to vaccinate do so because they fear the outcome, ingredients, and unnecessary pain to the child among other reasons. Humans do everything out of fear.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:44 AM on May. 8, 2011