Postpartum constipation

its been 5 days since i delivered my daughter and still have not had a bowl movement. ive been taking stool softeners i got from the hospital and been drinking plenty of water. is this normal? i have the urge to go and went very very little yesterday. it hurt so bad and i still have to urge to go and nothing comes out. it still feels very hard. im so miserable what do i do?

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 2:43 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Join the club. It was over 2 weeks for me to have my first BM. And even now, one month later, it's still a bloody struggle!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:45 PM on May. 7, 2011

• It took me a little while with my first, too. Mostly because I was afraid to push! Keep up with the water & the stool softeners & hopefully you make some poo soon! It may not hurt to take some fiber- the pills or liquid, or eat a big bowl of Fiber One or something.

BTW congrats on your baby girl :)
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 2:45 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I took the laxative dose of Milk of Magnesia (suggested by my midwife) a couple days after getting home. It took a couple hours to kick in, but getting that first poo out of the way was the key - after that it didn't hurt so bad and got easier all the time. Only needed 1 dose with each kiddo. I kept up with stool softeners for quite a while.
    Anonymous

• you're doing everything you should be. i took dulcolax (and still do now and then) and it seemed to help me. its a stupid thing, because its something you've been doing your whole life, but its still scary. you'll be okay. hang in there, and congrats!
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 8:44 PM on May. 7, 2011