Type 2 diabetes

if you lose weight and start exercising regularly could you get ride of type 2 diabetes? my friend just found out she has it and i read could be from her being obese, shes been going through alot the past 3 years and basically doesnt nothing but eat. I was wondering if i got her out more would it go away or at least make it more manageable for her?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 2:49 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Health

• I'm not a medical professional, but this is what I was told by a specialist when I was attempting to prevent the disease.

there was a study done on those in danger of becoming a type 2, those that didn't exercise and didn't loose weight were most likely to get the disease. Those that exercised and lost weight had a good percentage of keeping the disease away and those that exercised and didn't loose weight also had a good percentage of keeping it away as well.

I think that getting her exercising would be a great idea! It may not make the disease go away. but it's been known to help and in some cases bring down the sugar levels.

go for it!!!!!!!!!!!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 2:57 PM on May. 7, 2011

• oh, and btw, a doctor told me that he'd give me 5 years before I would become a type 2. It's been about 10, and after taking on more exercise and going to acupuncture for 2 years, I've never felt better in that area! My blood tests come back better as well.

and I never did develop the disease.

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 2:59 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Getting your friend out and moving and eating healthy certainly will help her.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 3:13 PM on May. 7, 2011

• One common thing I hear a lot that bugs me is those that are type 2 diabetes, lose a lot of weight and get off the meds say things like "I got rid of my diabetes" or "My diabetes is gone"

Once a diabetic ALWAYS a diabetic. I'm a type 2 diabetic. I've been on medication for 8 years now....i've taken insulin during my pregnancies. Recently i've lost 30 pounds with another 35 to go. Since eating healthy and exercising daily I've been able to get rid of my morning pills and NOW i've been told to reduce my evening pills. I've gone from 6 pills a day to just 2. I hope to be med free by the Fall.

So, while you can eat right, exercise, shed pounds and control it with diet and exercise to the point that your regular daily reading are similiar to those of a non diabetic...if you eat cake and ice cream or eat pizza or other carby food YES your blood sugar will spike.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:48 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Oh yes... Diabetes teaching!!!! One of my favorite things to do as a nurse...
    There are so many people who live obese without realizing short and long term consequences. It is VERY possible to manage (type 2) diabetes with just diet and exercise alone. I don't know how overweight your friend is but I highly recommend she see a nutritionist. If that is not possible, she needs to start watching Carb consumption. A lifestyle change is definitely needed. Maintaining a low carb meal plan such as Atkins or South Beach is highly recommended with Diabetes. Exercise will also help increase metabolism and energy to burn that extra fat and with carb control, it will allow her to keep her blood sugar levels from plummeting and spiking which will throw her insulin levels off. I could go on and on but without knowing the person, it is difficult to see where the change is needed. But first things first....change the diet.
    RNMomO3

Answer by RNMomO3 at 9:56 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Type 2 diabetes is curable with diet & exercise. Type 2 is insulin resistance which means your body produces insulin just no longer recognizes it. With proper diet & exercise, you can rebalance your hormones & use the insulin that your body produces.

Type 1 diabetes is diabetic for life because the body no longer produces insulin.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:59 AM on May. 8, 2011