Don't be in the mommy mood at times...

Is it normal to feel like your not in the mood to be a mommy? For instance, I at times want to have me time and go out instead of being with my son all day. Please don't judge me, because I do love my one year old son and I provide him with necessities and a child development specialist so I can make sure his developmental needs are met. I also spend time with him a lot by taking him on walks, reading to him, taking him to the children's play area in the mall, etc.  I'm asking this question, so I can know if I need to seek help in case I have depression.

Diamond2010

Asked by Diamond2010 at 3:09 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• If your son is a year old and you are now just beginning to feel this way, I'd consider it normal... Hire a baby sitter for 4 hours and have a spa day with your girlfriends. You deserve a little "me time" after taking care of your baby every day for an entire year!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:11 PM on May. 7, 2011

• As long as your are loving/nurturing/caring toward your son, in addition to having his developmental needs met, I don't see anything wrong with having "me-time." Maybe you still have "baby blues" -- Try making a date with your gf's or SO and have fun occassionally! Tf mom's happy then everyone will be happy!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:12 PM on May. 7, 2011

• The other day I told my children that my name was Gertrude, not mommy, for the remainder of the day. Even moms need a break sometimes. Take the break and go do something for yourself and get some you time. It will make you a better mother because you are maintaining your own mental health.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 3:12 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I think it is very normal to want " me" time. I also think it is very important to do something for yourself, if you don't take time for yourself how can you be the best mom for your child. Get a sitter and go have a ladies night or what you like to do and have fun. I've felt like that before and I got that advice from a grandmother.
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 3:14 PM on May. 7, 2011

• everyone feels that way. everyone needs a break. i love my kids more than life and all day I've been wishing I had someone that would babysit them because i reaaaaaaaaaaaallly need a break today :P
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 3:18 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My son's 7 going on 8 yrs old and there are times I'm not up to being mommy all the time. Especially since my son has ADHD and PDD as well; therefore, it's definitly HIGHLY stressful on me. Therefore, i enjoying taking out time for myself because i deserve it and have earned it. Every now and again us moms have to take a break from family life. There's nothng wrong with that.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 3:31 PM on May. 7, 2011

• No its normal. I have 5 and I take time for me all the time. I dont see anything wrong with it, we have to find balance or we will lose what makes us who we are dont you think?

Answer by gemgem at 3:43 PM on May. 7, 2011