Do your children have a legal Godparent?

And what was the factor in making this choice?

wendydays

Asked by wendydays at 3:25 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• God parents are only supposed to look after the childs religious education, nothing more. If you want someone to look after your kids after you pass, you need to appoint a legal guardian with a lawyer
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:37 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Godparent, no...guardian if anything should happen to dh and I, kind of..we talked it over almost a year ago and decided my dad and stepmom would be best fit to raise dd if anything happened, but we never found the right time to bring it up..so, since they're coming out in July for the birth of our ds, I think then would be the perfect time for that chat.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 4:34 PM on May. 7, 2011

• They have God parents, but dont know about legal. I have someone in my will chosen to take custody of my children in the event of my and my husbands death. I chose them because I trust them, they are family, they have children the same age and are both awesome parents.

Answer by gemgem at 3:28 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Do you mean legal guardian? Like if you die, the person who will take care of your children when you're gone? We have someone designated for our son, but he's only a couple of years shy of 18 now, so soon it won't matter.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:34 PM on May. 7, 2011