My toddler twins wont talk, I'm so anxious for them to! advice needed espessially moms of twins!

DISCLAIMER: i KNOW all kids are different and i KNOW twins tend to talk late.
however
I'm anxious for them to talk! so I have a few questions
if you say where is the truck they can point to the truck if you say where is the duck they can point to a duck etc they know what things are, and they say "whats that" and "that" they have like five or so words but they like NEVER use them. aside from "whats that" and "that" which they use constantly. I've been trying to ask THEM whats that and making them say it but they dont. (although I'm still continuing to do it)

at what point should I worry about hearing? and what would be the signs?
oh I didn't mention theyre 19 months, almost 20 months. (both boys)

the reason I say hearing is because well I'm paranoid lol and my friends daughter went until she was around almost 2 and they realized her hearing was impaired for whatever reason and they put in ear tubes and that helped so shes just learning to talk now. plus they say "ba" all the time when they are talking about balls and balloons and bottles, b words obviously. well the other day i was trying to get them to say banana and i said "say banana say ba" and they both would only repeat "da" there was another time that day they did a similar thing but with a different word/sound

so my questions are
when did your twins talk?
what can i do to help/encourage speaking?
what are signs of hearing impairment?
when should I be concerned about not speaking?
or any other advice you have!
I'm not overly concerned because they are developmentally fine, I'm just anxious for words!

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 3:29 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• (cont) off and there's no looking back. My best advice is to connect to their actual life & what they are noticing or caring about. Reflect & support THAT, by connecting with them, and this will encourage the connecting & bonding that language facilitates. Follow their gaze & narrate (simply & distinctly) what seems to be holding their attention (even if they are not calling attention to it by pointing/gesturing/speaking.) But go to their world rather than trying to bring them to YOUR agenda, and model simple speaking/naming of what seems to populate it. (With signs if you are open to that--just sign as you speak. That's more "scaffolding") And I can say that things were still kind of slow (with some additions of words, improvement, but not huge) until after two years, but the bigger more dramatic explosions were in the months around 26 or so. By 30-31 months, I could not come close to making a "complete" list of spoken words.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:22 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Ok, I don't have twins, but I do have a son who refused to say any words at all until around 20 months, and that was only after 2 months of early intervention therapy. Every pediatrician is different when they think kids should be talking. Twins do tend to talk late, but it is important that they attempt to speak before 2 because the longer they put it off the more likely other areas of cognitive development will be affected. Be aware that if you do end up calling early intervention (should be somewhere on your county's website or even your state health and welfare site) they will probably ask to get their hearing tested. It is worth the phone call in my experience. My son improved by leaps and bounds after we started it. Reading to them is helpful. Continue trying to get them to repeat words. Point to the duck and say "Duck" over and over again and see if you can get them to repeat it. Choose one or two words and use them
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 4:23 PM on May. 7, 2011

• and use them like crazy. Also choose a sound they already use (ba) and repeat a couple "b" words all day for several days and get excited about the words. It's also really good to narrate what you're doing and what they're doing. They are obviously observing a lot and picking up what you are doing, so they just need that extra boost in the right direction. Good luck!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 4:24 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Have you looked into speech therapy? Some places will be able to bill Medicaid (or whatever your insurance provider is) for the services.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 4:52 PM on May. 7, 2011

• If you call early intervention, they will definitely do a hearing test before they proceed to a developmental evaluation. I know it's mandatory in NC for them to have hearing and vision checked before they go any further. They want to know if that's the problem.

Answer by missanc at 5:15 PM on May. 7, 2011

• @ACL2007 when I do try to get them to repeat words its never the word but idk if thats normal. all B words are "ba" ball, balloon, boat, they only say "ba" and D words (the few they have) is "da" everything else is "da" meaning that I guess. :/ so is that anything close to what youre suggesting or should they be using the full, real, word?
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 9:57 PM on May. 7, 2011

• my twins are 13months right now and one can say dada mama doggy and my other one just started to say mama he is very good at saying dada there doctor said if they are not saying 5 works at 15 months then we will go from there they are both boy's but good luck im where you are
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 11:36 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I have boy twins who are now 33 months old. They had a few words (like mama, dada) fairly early on, & I remember last summer (after 20 months but before their 2nd birthday) they had added a few more words. They had words/names for everyone in the family (at that time "sister" for their sis & Nana for each other) & a few random words like baseball, onion, zipper, & ocean. (lol) But it seemed to take a long time before they were branching out any more than that. Their receptive language was advanced (they could comprehend & follow complex multi-part instructions) & they clearly understood what we were saying. They also had a lot of signs. You didn't mention signing--do you sign with your boys at all? Our doctor was not uncomfortable with their rate of development & definitely considered signs to be "words." They weren't limited to pointing & grunting. They somehow seemed very capable in their communication, despite their lack of
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:36 PM on May. 9, 2011

• speaking (much.) We started working with a babysitter a couple mornings a week and that was her perception, as well--that they were "capable" even with few words (she had been a nanny for a couple of families with 2-year-old boys and said our guys were roughly on a par with where they had been, except that they seemed "more competent" & she felt that somehow she understood them much better, and that they seemed confident or assured of being able to be understood.) I noticed that the language acquisition process was similar with the boys as it had been with my (very verbal) older daughter, in that her first "words" were the initial consonants/sounds of words ("ba" was a big one for her & for my boys, as you describe.) With my kids, having signs made it clear in a way it never could have been otherwise, because the sign would distinguish whether "ba" meant bath, ball, bye-bye, book, balloon, banana. (Though my twins said
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:43 PM on May. 9, 2011

• (cont.) "Nmmuh-nmmuh-na" for banana, rather than "ba." lol) So the initial sounds of words thing is a normal part of the process for some kids (other kids focus on other parts of the word), so that is normal & progress/development. If you do introduce signs, it can help with frustration & clarity. It also can help them branch out & use words that would be too complicated/challenging for them to speak, but that they know or recognize & understand. I taught them the sign for library (their dad is an academic librarian) & other meaningful words & they used them alot, in addition to the usual "baby signs." I had been trusting that they were okay, & just "noticing" that they weren't adding a lot of spoken words (approaching age 2.) At one point, I really focused on supporting their development, though. I didn't stop the "regular" complex way I spoke to them, but I made a point of simplifying my responses when they would show/tell m
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:48 PM on May. 9, 2011