Can my daughter get tubes if she has an active ear infection?

We are scheduled for tubes on Tuesday, and as of yesterday she started showing signs of an active ear infection (fever, pulling at her ear). I will have to call the office on Monday to find out if we can proceed or not, but I was wondering if anybody has had a similar experience. Will we have to wait until she is infection-free?

pawlady

Asked by pawlady at 3:38 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I'm not sure. When my son got his put in he was fighting 3 months of ear infections so I am sure he probably had one. he had been on antibiotics for 3 months.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 4:13 PM on May. 7, 2011

• if you aren't sure I'd call your ear dr.
    daerca574

• I hope that your pediatrician can give you the answers you need during Monday's phone call. I'm sorry to hear that your DD is having these issues. How many infections did she have before they decided upon the tubes? I'm asking because my DD1 is quite prone to ear infections and her pediatrician is not wanting to refer her to an ENT.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 4:27 PM on May. 7, 2011

• This is the fifth one since November.
    pawlady

Comment by pawlady (original poster) at 4:31 PM on May. 7, 2011

• i doubt it? but then again i wouldn't get tubes if someone paid me... for my kids that is
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:34 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Idk but I hope your daughter can get some relief soon.
    alliesmom112

Answer by alliesmom112 at 11:09 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My DD got tubes after having over 20 ear infections in a year. I'm pretty sure she had one when they did it but it wasn't a bad one.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 6:25 PM on May. 8, 2011

• They will probably want her on an antibiotic at the time of the surgery. My son was 9 months old when he got ear tubes because he had his first ear infections when he was 4 months old and they never went away after more rounds of antibiotics than I can count. He definitely had an active one when he had the tubes put in, but the dr. had him on another round of antibiotics before the surgery too. When the ENT came out he told me that he put the tubes in and suctioned out the nasty liquid that was trapped in his ears.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:00 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I didn't think they could but I don't know much about it.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:30 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I have no idea, but hoping for a good outcome for her on this!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:40 AM on May. 9, 2011