What was your expierience?

My fiancée and I are getting married in 2 months. And 6 months after that, we're planning to move to Washington state. He has land in Washington due to his Native American Blood and will receive full benefits for all of us. His family lives there and there are wonderful schools from what I've heard.

From my ex I have a 17 month old child who has been living with me since he was born. We may establish joint legal custody, me having full physical custody and he will get visitation rights.

What do I need to do in order to relocate? What was your experience? My biggest fear is that the court will force me to stay in Colorado.

I'm moving away for very good reasons.... we currently live with my mother who is an alcoholic and used to abuse me. My future husband has family and friends in Washington and a high-paying lab tech job waiting for him to return to.

And my ex isn't the best of people at all. He cheated on me our whole relationship and left us a week after our son was born. Plus, he's almost punched our child out of frustration.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• WA state totally rocks. Anyway, I wouldn't tell your ex until right before--that way, he can't get a court order forcing you to stay where you are. That's what I did. I moved from Virginia to Oregon and there was not a damn thing he could do about it. Once I got to Oregon though he did a court order that I couldn't move from Oregon which was totally fine with me!
    Anonymous

• moving onto a reservation there is places you mark on the petition for that.. there are separate laws regarding that that you'll need to speak to a lawyer about.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:19 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Do i have to let the court know?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:21 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Should I tell him 1 week before? Or can I make it one day? haha
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:23 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Like I said, I wouldn't say anything until I move. If you are going to court before you move I would tell them then. But I wouldn't tell your ex if you can help it. I personally would never allow joing custody. And when my ex punched my daughter out, I took 100% of his visitation away.
    Anonymous

• Why is he getting visitation if he nearly punched the kid out of frustration? If you can don't tell him until the last minute, but you should talk to a lawyer.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 4:46 PM on May. 7, 2011

• depends on what's filed in court already, if he has any rights, then yes you legally have to inform him AND the courts of your move or if he's concerned he can press kidnapping charges. So you REALLY need to get it into writting before you move.

"I moved from Virginia to Oregon and there was not a damn thing he could do about it"

actually if he had legal rights of any kind to the child (like the ack of paternity signed with no other court paperwork/ joint custody/ or even visitation rights) YES he could have done something about it.. if he filed kidnapping against you, you could have lost ALL your legal rights to your child completely. Just be thankful your ex didnt think about that, or your situation was that he never signed any legal documents of paternity, or you would have lost your child.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:47 PM on May. 7, 2011

• if he tried to hurt your child, then you NEED to file the proper paperwork about it. An order of protection. If that's already done, and you have full custody, then no, you don't have to inform the courts.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:49 PM on May. 7, 2011

• If he's only signed the acknowledgement of paternity, and my child has lived with me since he was born...could that be for me or against me in court?

If I have full physical custody of the child...does that do any good for me to move?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:08 PM on May. 7, 2011

• if you have nothing legally on paper yet i would do it very soon and not join custody. i would do full custody with visitations but if he has tried to hurt your child i would def fight that one and only have him have supervised visitations. what i did was i moved out of state and then filed for child support ect. i do not know the laws in that state. but the baby was only like 3 days old and he knew we were moving there before she was born and he did not do anything about it. so i would just move and then do all the legal stuff in that other state. but if you arelly unsure consult an attorney.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:20 PM on May. 7, 2011