If I die my kid wants to

live with her step-dad and not her bio-dad. She's 14 so I'm thinking that she probably has a choice but I don't know. Anyone know anybody that has gone through that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• Do you have children together? Courts usually favor keeping siblings together.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:44 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Unless Step dad adopts her he has no rights to guardianship in the event of your passing. But in order for him to adopt her BD has to sign over his rights which is a doubtful occurrence if he is still actively and frequently involved in her life.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 4:24 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Make your will out, and talk to an attorney. I was told that as long as I can prove (or in my case my sons step dad) that it is in the best interest of the child to stay with the step parent and it is in your will that your attorney will try and make it happen. With her being that old, I don't see it being an issue, we were also said in our state as long as the child is 12 the court takes into consideration what the child wants.

After the loss of a parent the worse thing for a child is to be uprooted from their home...I went through a bunch of crap with my siblings after our mom died. Please Please Please get a will ready.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 4:21 PM on May. 7, 2011

• see if your husband would adopt her legally that way its all legit... no worries.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:50 PM on May. 7, 2011

• He is not active in her life. He lives in Germany and doesn't even know where we live.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:25 PM on May. 7, 2011