Constantly having to argue with her.....

So I moved like 6 weeks ago next door to my parents place. Okay let me explain that we live in the same exact building as my parents & two sisters, my parents own apartment buildings. We have 8 kids total so my parents have 8 grandkids. We all share the same exact backyard. My mom puts out a basket full of snacks on her backporch plus there is a mini fridge for drinks. This is so the kids dont go in & out all day long.

Well this basket of snacks is nothing but junk no joke choc granola bars, brownies, cinn buns, gummies... just junk & processed food. I dont mind my daughter whos 3 1/2 years having some junk here & there but this is crazy. She is eating out of this basket all day long bc she would rather eat my parents food & we are outside by the deck all day long on nice days.

I tell my daughter all the time that she has to eat healthy so she'll get something from the basket & I make her get something from our house healthy etc. But I am finding my days are full of fighting over junk vs healthy food. To make matters worse my sisters dont care that their kids are eating junk the entire day long & bc junk food dont fill you up the other kids are always eating out of the basket. I am trying to find a solution to this problem.

Right now I am making our own snack basket with organic cheese puffs, craisins, raisins, cereal, pirate booty, etc. I hope hope hope this solves the problem but what if it dosent!? I am hoping that she will opt for things out of our bucket as well things she likes & enjoys over the temptation of the junk basket. She cant run around all summer long (she spends her days from sun up to sun down as long its decent outside) crying about wanting to eat junk food, yelling at me, being put in time out, having to argue with her etc.

So question here thoughts on snacks to fill up our bucket with? What healthy products do you guys like that keep well bc I am buying bags of stuff & putting them into containers to save money (instead of those pre packaged small containers of stuff that is way more expensive). Any other ideas on how to fix this problem? Thoughts in general? Thanks ladies.

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 4:45 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• How about some fruit or raisins or even craisins?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:51 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Craisins (check) Raisins (check) fruit is always available in everyones houses but when she is outdoors the first stop is snack basket & once she sees thats available thats the end of it. Any other dried fruits she wont eat or never used to hmmm may have to try some of them again though thanks!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 4:54 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Have you tried suggesting to your mom that she not put out the junky stuff? That's what I would do, and I would also suggest things that she could put in her basket that would be healthier for all the kids. I am a grandma and I know full well about the desire to want to pamper the grandchildren, but we keep things on hand of which we know the parents approve and just a few of the other kind of snacks. Those are the ones that really say, "We've been to Nanny's house." I would just tell her and if she insists on keeping them out, then you are going to have to be the mean mama and not allow your child to eat them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:39 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I would also make sure waters were in the fridge. Does it have a freezer part? Maybe some juice popsicles?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:05 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My parents know very well I do not approve of eating so much junk stuff however, the other children (all 7) have grown up eating like this so they now do not eat anything healthy. I have so far brought them a starfruit, coconut & pineapple the only child to try any of this was mine! I showed them the fruit before then we cut it up together etc but nope they dont care. In the fridge are healthy drinks (improvement over last year) & I stock the fridge with fruitables etc. I will alternate between the fruitables & caprisuns bc my daughter prefers caprisuns but I prefer her to drink the fruitables. There is a freezer part to the small fridge so I will go look in the frozen area & see what I can get that is organic/healthy to toss in there as well, good idea! Thanks ladies, I will get this all figured out.
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 6:23 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Right or wrong you can't change what your mother does. You need to train your daughter to stay out of gramma's snack basket and only get snacks from the basket you put outside.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:16 PM on May. 8, 2011