Your opinion on not opening gifts DURING the party?

We are considering not opening the gifts during the birthday party (takes away from the fun and games) -- Because we have a set amount of time for the kids to use the birthday facilities -- We would send personalized thank-you cards after opening the gifts though. Gift-opening takes SO LONG at the parties we have been to. Whats your opinion on this?

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 4:57 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Holidays

• Is the weather nice where you are? Could you after the party go to a park or somewhere close or back to your house to open gifts & maybe have an extra activty or do cake & icecream there? I think lots of pepole enjoy having the kid open gifts in front of them to see the reaction & you may offend a few if you dont do it. I understand the limited time issue & if you simply cant do it then just explain to people you dont mean to offend but you felt the kids would rather play then sit for a period of time. Good luck.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 5:00 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Gift opening IS part of the Birthday Party!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:00 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I think the guests would like to see your kid open them. Its part of the fun

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:58 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My kids always enjoyed watching the birthday child open their gift. To me it's an important part of the party. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:59 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I think most people want to see the birthday child open their gifts.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 5:03 PM on May. 7, 2011

• we just left a party...the kids who came were sooooo excited for the birthday girl to open 'my' gift..they have such fun pointing out which one they brought! the kids love to check everything out.. heck, i'd say they had as much fun doing the 'gift opening' as they did the bowling or games.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:04 PM on May. 7, 2011

• At my dd party last month, she opened most of the gifts after we got home from her party. Her party was outside, and the wind was CRAZY, so it was not a good idea. It was time for the party to be over, so everyone was very understanding. She has been to parties that the kids opened gifts, and it does take up time. She has also been to parties that the gifts were taken home unopened. It did not bother me. She did personalized thank yous the next week for everyone. It may be so crazy(depending on the age of the kids) that no one will be bothered either way!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 5:01 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I think since you have a limited time for where you are are having the party, I do not see an issue on not opening presents. I agree with you, it takes a lot of time out of the party and especially if you are planning games and stuff... no need to take time away from that.
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 4:58 PM on May. 7, 2011

• We open gifts at the party, I have found that my daughter's friends like to see them open what they brought to them. I allow enough time for bowling or whatever we are doing, eating and opening gifts and play time with friends.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 5:41 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I think that the kids and adults like watching the birthday child open the new gifts, and then typically enjoy playing with them. If it was a cultural thing (many cultures don't like the "showy" opening of gifts) then I would understand, but if its a time thing, I think most people enjoy seeing the presents be opened.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:49 PM on May. 7, 2011