How do you address your son age 6 on always wanting to get girl things for himself?

he chooses to watch barbie channel and he picks out items with flowers etc for hisself dose this mean hes going to be gay my hubby is worried

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 5:08 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't worry about it. I think if you make a big deal out out of things it drives them to do it more...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 5:33 PM on May. 7, 2011

• *sigh* no this dosent mean that he will be gay. I have no adive on how you would talk to him about it bc I would never keep my son from things he liked & enjoyed bc they are "girlish". I in fact scold my daughter when she refers to things as "boys" or "girls" items telling her they are kids things period meant for boys or girls. If you keep him from such things then he is only going to want them even more & be more interested just bc he's curious as to why he cant have them. My advice is to let him be, allow him to be a child while he can & hey if he does turn out gay oh well you need to still love him period. Good luck oh & give your hubby a smack for me while your at it.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 5:13 PM on May. 7, 2011

• If that's what he likes, encourage it. The idea that things are girl things or boy things is outdated, and needs to be done away with for the betterment of society. Whether or not he's gay, well, time will tell, but don't despair... if nothing else he can fix up a nice den for your husband to sulk in.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 5:14 PM on May. 7, 2011

• No exploring 'girl' things at 6 will not make your child gay. With the boys we just let them do what they were interested in and now they are interested in sports and 'boy' things they are 13 now and we used to paint their fingernails and let then play with dolls and girl stuff it's just exploring the world around them
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 5:16 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Sorry that my answer sounded so harsh, I just re read it & didnt mean for it to come off as mean. I do get kind of defensive when people dont allow boys to play with "girl" things & vice versa bc I feel that they are children & should be allowed to simply play. I would rather have a talk with your hubby instead of our son bc sounds like he is the one who needs to understand instead of the child ya know? Just explain to hubby that if you withold such items from him it could turn nasty like him rebelling & may start a trend of him lieing bc if he is indeed or does indeed turn out to be gay he will be apt to hide it in fear that his father wont approve. Does that make sense?
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 5:17 PM on May. 7, 2011

• How would I address it? I wouldn't address it. I would really just be concerned about protecting him from closed-minded people who think everyone belongs in a little box defined by their gender (ie, girls can't be plumbers or presidents; boys can't wear pink or play with dolls; girls aren't good at math; boys can't cook, etc). I would buy him the things he wants and love him for who he is. I also wouldn't even wonder if he is gay, b/c 1. it doesn't matter at all and 2. children are children -- I don't think there's much sexuality going on for a 6 year old yet.

Good luck. It is a hard world to have a girly boy in.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 5:19 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Maybe
    most likely its just a phase. My nephew who is 9 does this but we suspect he IS gay,but then again he doesn't have a positive male role model so who knows.
    Would his being gay be such a terrible thing?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:12 PM on May. 7, 2011

• it may be that "girl" colored things are just better looking then the dingy boy crap!! Why is it that boys can't pick out girl stuff, but it's never a problem with girls like trucks and stuff?? Sigh....

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:20 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Does he have sisters or is around you a lot more than dad? My ds is 2 1/2 and likes all things girl, but he is around big sis and me all the time. I couldn't care less what he likes. I think you should just go with it and not make a big deal about it. My dd is 7 and has never liked "girl" things. I encourage her to like and do whatever she wants. My MIL makes snide remarks constantly, she wants my dd to be a prissy princess, and that is not happening. I joke and say that she might get one from my ds!!!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 5:21 PM on May. 7, 2011

• When my son was 5 he wanted a Polly Pocket doll as this was one of the favorite things his female cousins were playing. I took him to the store and bought him one--a boy one. Now he wouldn't touch it and say it's for girls. He is now 12.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:31 PM on May. 7, 2011