What do you include in a cover letter for a job?

I need to know so I can create one.....what are must haves that I should include?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• The cover letter is where you tell why you would be perfect for that specific job. Focus on the job and your skills. You'd obviously need a different cover letter if you are applying both at McDonald's and as a school principal.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 5:42 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Look at it as your 30-second ad spot: "I'm interested in your President of Awesome position. I have served as Secretary of Amazing for the last three years and helped Amazing move into Outstanding, where I co-chaired as Deputy Awesome. My previous experience as counselor at Coolness has also taught me to connect with people not just on a professional level, but a personal one. Enclosed is my resume for your consideration. I look forward to an interview with you soon."
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 6:03 PM on May. 7, 2011

• It needs to be short. If at ALL possible, address the person you know will be reading it rather than a "To Whom it May Concern". Basically include what position you are applying for, and specific ways your skills and experience would benefit the company and meet the needs of the position. You don't want to include everything that is listed in your resume, because that will be attached, so keep it short and sweet. You want the highlight reel, basically. Definitely customize it to each position for which you are applying, and make sure your name and contact information is on everything you submit. The LAST thing you want to have happen is for them to be interested in you and have to struggle to figure out how to contact you.

Best of luck!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:54 PM on May. 7, 2011

• A cover letter should tell the hiring manager what you can do to make her/his life better. Start off mentioning something notable
    or newsworthy that the company (or the manager him- or herself) has done. From there you'll move on to the pain statement, and then share a bit of your highly relevant experience - no generalizations! Broad statements like "The key strengths that I possess" are typically useless, because this manager doesn't know us - he or she has no reason to trust our assessments of our strengths. One good story that describes your success slaying a dragon like the one that's flying around this manager's castle right now would be much stronger.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 PM on May. 7, 2011