Why is it when you have two children of the same sex, everybody says are you going to try for the boy / girl?

I am pregnany with my second daughter and every time we tell someone it is a girl, they say so are you going to try for a boy? It makes me so mad. Why can't they just say congrats! Maybe not everybody wants a boy/girl that they don't have. I had a sister and am thrilled that my daughter gets one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just say, no we got it right both times!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 5:47 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Its because they always assume that we want to experience both instead of considering the fact that not everyone wants a boy and a girl some just want all boys some want all girls I got asked the same thing since I have my son and I tell them honestly I'd love another boy but I'll be happy with whatever god blesses me with
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 5:50 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Because people ASSume they know what you want. I was very happy to have two girls, even though many people thought we should try for a boy.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:00 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Never was said to me.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:13 PM on May. 7, 2011

• i say it to make small talk with a woman or couple I don't know very well. Making small talks tends to have you saying the dumbest of things.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 6:13 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I am 35 weeks pregnant with my second daughter and people already are asking/talking about us trying for a third. Seriously? DD is 5, this one's not born, and btw thanks for your congrats etc but we're done.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 6:23 PM on May. 7, 2011

• because typically the people that ask are the people that had those wishes when they were pregnant or desires that in the future. But it can get annoying.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:36 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Because I think a lot of people really feel like they're missing out if they don't have one of each. We are on our third girl, and I get asked the same thing "one more try for a boy?" and honestly, yeah, we WILL be making one more try. I usually respond honestly "I thought for sure Joe would be ready to be done if this baby was a boy, but before we even found out, he said one more". Obviously, you get what you get, there isn't a choice in the matter, there isn't anything you can do about how many of what gender you have as long as you continue to have children. I just wouldn't try to take offense to it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:46 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I've always wondered that. I wanted two boys and I have two boys. I honestly don't know what I would have done with a daughter because I just relate better to sons. We're done having children, but people are always asking us when we're "going to try for that girl". Never, dude.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:50 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I think it's because most people want the experience of raising both a son and a daughter, when I was growing up I always wanted three boys - mostly because I was use to boys. I have six younger brothers and my boy cousins are closer to my age than my girl cousins so I knew what to expect from raising little boys. However I had two girls first, and I love that I had little girls - if I had known how great it was having two girls I wouldn't have had that three second period of disappointment when the ultrasound tech said "It's a girl" and then I had twin boys and I'm now expecting my third boy so I'm done and thrilled. A girl I know is the youngest of 5 girls, her parents kept trying for a boy but after the 4th girl they gave up. A guy I briefly dated has always wanted a son - he's about to have his fourth daughter and his wife is getting her tubes tied because she's done trying for a boy.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 7:50 PM on May. 7, 2011