Should I go blonde or red?

I want to dye my hair should I go red or blonde? I am a dark brown for right now.

ja2010

Asked by ja2010 at 5:50 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Is brown your natural color if so you definately want to go towards the darker shades of those colors since they'll match up better with your complexion. And being a natural ginger I'm voting red.
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 5:55 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Im a red head and speaking from experience RED HEADS HAVE MORE FUN :D
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 6:03 PM on May. 7, 2011

• it depends on 1) skin tone, 2) previous/current chemically-altered haircolor, 3) maintenance commitment.
    the lighter you change your color, the more obvious your new-growth will be..the lighter, the sooner. as a brown, you're options for varying shades would be in the red-family.
    also, if you are currently brown (real or chemically-altered), the more blonde you go, the harsher chemicals you will have to use for desired shade. the timing and application is more technical and tedious...or should be.
    red is easier, but will fade, and to keep it fresh, you'll need to use semi-demi-colors inbetween, or something like cellophanes to brighten it up and make it POP! again.
    blonding brown hair can result in brassy color, orange or warm overtones if not done correctly. most brunettes will do a 2 or 3-tone blonding better than a single blonde.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:25 PM on May. 7, 2011

• neither..unless you seek a stylist to do it for you.. otherwise I see a hot mess in the near future.. I would just go two shades lighter
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:39 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I would do some medium blonde highlights. I think going full blonde from brown is too drastic a change.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:42 PM on May. 7, 2011

• @ ladymitres, so what if her hair ois brown! What does that have to do with her complexion? I have light brown natural hair and I am as white as Casper.
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 6:44 PM on May. 7, 2011

• red
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:53 PM on May. 7, 2011

• It does depend on your skin complexion, light colors don't look good on darker complexion women (my opinion), my skin complexion is white (and Im a latina go figure lol), I have my hair blonde & I WISH I can color it black but because of my skin complexion it makes me look gothic lol, & funny thing my natural hair color is dark brown but everyone loves me blonde they say it looks better on me cause of my complexion. I wish my complexion was a little darker too I love dark hair colors but they don't look nice on me, so I stick with lighter colors. But Blondes do have more fun lol =)
    VanillaBlondie8

Answer by VanillaBlondie8 at 11:47 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I suggest trying one of those virtual makeover things. The colors aren't great, but it will give you an idea of which color you would like better before you color.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:45 PM on May. 8, 2011

• i love red and beware if you ever want to change it to blonde after red its very hard to get red out
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 5:05 PM on May. 8, 2011