At what age do you take away the blankey?

Mommy2JoshNJake

Asked by Mommy2JoshNJake at 6:42 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I never took my children's away. They gave them up when they were ready. After a while, they didn't take them out, but they slept with them until they decided they didn't any longer need them. Why would you want to take away a child's security blanket?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:44 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I agree with the previous comment. My youngest is 5 yrs old and still sleeps with her blankey and even wants it when she gets hurt and needs the comfort. There is nothing wrong with this and its not harming her in anyway. Eventually she'll grow out of needing it when she's ready
    Mommyx2BG

Answer by Mommyx2BG at 6:56 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My dd has a little leopard, u can see it in this avatar I have of her. She will not go ANYWHERE without it! TSA people at the airport took it from her to scan for a bomb ("eye roll") and she like to throw the biggest temper tantum!! I still couldn't bring myself to feel sorry for him! All the people in line were giving this poor guy the meanest looks! If looks could kill, he would be dead!! So I will wait untill shes ready, and so what if she brings it to college!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:03 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My 4-year-old still sleeps with her "lovey." She use to never leave the house without it -- but now only searches for it if she is sad, upset or feels bad. I will never take it away.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 7:07 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My 6 year old has an ariel mermaid barbie that is her favorite toy and she likes sleeping with it and taking it on car rides but she's always losing it so she doesn't get too upset when she can't find it because she knows eventually it'll turn up. My other DD has a stuffed bear she will sleep with and cuddle with when she's over tired or upset but if she can't find it she doesn't make a big issue about it so I don't think either of them are overly attached and I've never seen a reason to take those things away.

I agree with the others; I'm sure your child will grow out of it at some point.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 7:35 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My son is 14 yrs old and still sleeps with his blankey and a stuffed wolf he has had since he was 3. I know someone whose college age son took his blankey to college with him. It stayed in his pillow.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:34 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Never!! I took mine to college (I kept him inside my pillow case) and had him until the day he fell apart into unsaveable pieces. My son will have his as long as he wants it.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 9:37 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I don't think it's necessary. But maybe when going on outings you can have your LO leave it at home or in the car :)
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 11:36 PM on May. 7, 2011