2-year-old off bottle!!!

How do I get my 2-year-old daughter off the bottles? She screams when I take it! No judging just advice. I know there are other moms out there who went through it. Thanks.

LiviandEmmysMom

Asked by LiviandEmmysMom at 6:44 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I actually took the bottles away from my kids at 1 years old. I know the older they get the harder it is going to be. What I had to do with my youngest, which took me to convince my family to stop giving her bottles at the age of 2 (and they didn't)...I finally got stern and just gave her sippy cups. I would not give in to a bottle. In fact, I went as far as showing her that she had to be a big girl and showed her that I threw them all out. At first she was not happy but when she was thirsty she drank from the sippy cup. It was only a hard three days but it was worth it and now at 3 she actually drinks out of regular glasses without thinking about it. Good luck!! Hope that helps!
    KMKM04Mommy

Answer by KMKM04Mommy at 6:49 PM on May. 7, 2011

• oh yea my 3 yr old didnt get off the bottle til she was almost 3 and let me tell you that was hard but what i did was buy her some sippy cups with the silicone nipple and just slowly weaned her off the bottle during the day and let her take her sippy cup to bed with her just like a bottle and then mb you could let her try drinking out of a small cup that way she will feel like a big girl...best of luck
    Ksmomma30

Answer by Ksmomma30 at 6:51 PM on May. 7, 2011

• We did it at 12 months. We just gave her ovaltine in a toddler cup instead.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 6:57 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Fill it up with water. The fascination with it will soon end. We did that with my daughter. She hung onto the "water" bottle for a few weeks, and then lost interest.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:07 PM on May. 7, 2011

• At 2, she should start learning to drink out of a regular glass or cup. Tell her, "You're a big girl now, you get a big girl cup just like mommy" -- good luck! Pediatricians recommend getting your child off the bottle by 18 months...but, I did it when my son turned 1. Actually, the day after his first birthday, he was completely off the bottle. I started sipi-cups when he was 8 months old.
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 7:11 PM on May. 7, 2011

• you can also get sip cups that have straws
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 7:12 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I am not sure how but i really liked katie80620's answer. My advice would be to take away bottles at 9 months. It really seems to be the easiest.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 8:15 PM on May. 7, 2011

• you throw it in the trash and get the worst over quickly. it does nothing but upset the child and parent longer to take it away bits every day, that just causes anxiety every day imo. throw it out and in a day or two when they realize you cant and wont cave they will take the cup.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 10:25 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I did exactly what GirlWithANikon said. My dd was 27 months old, she just had it for naps and bed time. I threw them all away, didn't show her or tell her just did it. I knew if I didn't throw them away, I would be too tempted to give in.
    zradiogirl

Answer by zradiogirl at 10:38 PM on May. 7, 2011

• And want to add, good luck!
    zradiogirl