Do you have any kids in your neighborhood that you'd rather your children didn't play with?

Growing up we lived in two different neighborhood's off and on and in each one there was one or two kids that were always getting into trouble, whether it was stealing or being a bully or whatever. In my neighborhood now there are several kids I won't allow my children to play with and are not allowed in my yard - one was caught stealing toys from my yard, and she was also seen snooping around my yard and a neighbor's yard at night. Another one is always picking fights with my 6 year old DD and trying to get my 5 year old DD into trouble. A few of the boys in the neighborhood are always picking fights with my 9 and 11 year old cousins so those kids aren't allowed in my yard either.

I sometimes try to think about what kind of parents are allowing their children to go around the neighborhood and start crap with smaller children, or what they think when their kids come home with toys that don't belong to them. Last year the girl who steals was even caught by my neighbor stealing food out of my cellar which has a freezer in it with meat, pies, ice cream and popsicles and my small cellar has all of DH's tools in it and several things were missing from there too...I had to go out and buy a padlock for both cellars.

I'm not going through all the drama this summer; I'm telling each of those kids they're again not allowed in my yard or to play with my children. If I must I intend to go to their parents because as much as I don't want to if I catch one stealing again or beating on one of my kids I will call the cops. However I'm not an unforgiving person either, there is a couple kids that I had issues with last summer that so far have seemed fine around my kids when they play down the street at my aunt's ex-boyfriend's house so when one came up I told her she could play here but if I see one fight or anything else like last year than she'll be sent home and won't be allowed to play here again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• There aren't many kids around here for him to play with. The only kids he really plays with are his two cousins and the other kids in the church's nursery class. But I'm sure there will be some kids we don't want him hanging around with when he starts preschool next year.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:17 PM on May. 7, 2011

• There are a few at my daughter's preschool that I would PREFER she not play with -- So I encourage her friendship with other children by inviting them on playdates or whatever.

In your case, I would definitly call the cops -- And can't you talk to the parents and let them know what their kids are doing? I would set up a nanny-cam and catch them in the act -- then you can show the cops AND the parents.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 7:23 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Yes there is 1 boy on our block my kids are not allowed to play with... he is a whiney little brat whose mom thinks her "sweet lil darlin angel" can do no wrong..... and ever since the 'swimming pool incident' --where my kids were in that neighbors yard and all the kids were chucking rocks and crap over the fence... and it ended up in the back neighbor's pool. Needless to say the brat told his mom my kids did it-- and she refused to believe her sweet lil darlin angel did any of it. She also did not know what kids were in her yard or what they were doing, she failed to supervise them. -- So ever since then I have refused to allow that whiney brat in my yard or play with my kids.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:26 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My kids are allowed to play with whoever they choose to play with as long as that child is not harming my child. At the moment we have no kids on our block. My older kids are grown and most of the kids are their age and have grown up too. Now it is just my 6 & 11 yr old.

Answer by gemgem at 7:32 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Yes. There's a boy around the corner in my oldest dd's class that they aren't allowed to play with. He's always causing trouble and getting kids into stuff. Sad thing is I don't think he always means to do it. He's got all sorts of problems, has been kicked off the bus, etc. Most of the kids in the neighborhood aren't allowed to play with him.
    I can't really control what they do when they are out and about but they know they aren't supposed to hang around him and he's not allowed over at our house.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:58 PM on May. 7, 2011