How do you help a 6 year old to focus?

I have a six year old who has the hardest time focusing. It really affects his school and home life. We do know he has "ADD" But I will not get him on medications. He isn't bad, defiant, or negative. He just can't focus. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Sillymemommy11

Asked by Sillymemommy11 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• At home -short spans of learning or homework - say 10-15 mins every half hour or so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I agree. In school they try to get them to focus on a subject for up to 40 min. That's just too hard for them. Try the smaller time frame and build up but I wouldn't go over 15 min. In disciplining a child in time out they say do it 1 min per age in yrs bc they can't appreciate time and stay focused so it's the same thing with learning. Start small and work up.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:54 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Make sure you use a quiet room with no distractions (no toys, tv,radio, colorful posters, etc.). I agree with the PP's do small amounts of time, with a 5 minute break in between.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 6:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Continuing on with what you guys said, What about at school? Would these tecniques help with school over time?
    Sillymemommy11

Answer by Sillymemommy11 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I homeschool my 5, 6 and 7 year old and my 4 year old cousin and we take lots of breaks and do lots of physical activities, this keeps them busy and active. I am very against anything that requires lots of busy work. There is no reason a 6 year old should be required to be an adult. He is a kid and has the energy of one :)
    MamaRouge

Answer by MamaRouge at 3:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2008