For several weeks my 6 year old DD can't seem to get along with her cousins, any idea on how to get them back to getting along?

My 6 year old DD is a beautiful, smart, funny, active kid. She is little Miss Popular in school and seems to make friends easily but her issue tends to be with her cousins. My aunt lives next door with her 9 year old son, my cousin also lives there and gets his 5 year old son every afternoon and most weekends, and until school ends my other cousin's 11 year old son is staying with my aunt (my cousin and her husband moved out of state recently and didn't want to transfer their son so late in the year). Things always start out fine between all the kids, they play on the swings, with toys and ride bikes together but without fail every day something irks my daughter the wrong way and she starts crying because she thinks the boys are being mean to her. She runs her mouth and makes things worse so then boys being boys they sometimes start making fun of her and she cries more. She'll tell them she hates them and will purposely irritate them even more. She'll claim one or all of the boys did something and they'll all say she's lying. I don't know how to diffuse the situation without my DD thinking I don't believe her but I don't want my little cousins resenting my DD either if they get in trouble every time she comes crying to me or my aunt. I also have a 5 year old DD and she never has any issues with the boys.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• She is a girl... they are playing like boys... that's not always going to be the way she wants to play. Sounds like she needs some time away from them and some girl friends her own age!! Not all girls like that rougher way boys play. And it could be they are ganging up on her... it's 3 vs 1... unless you witness it they very well could be bullying her!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:36 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Thank you - and yea I do get that boys tend to play rougher and I've tried telling my DD to back off and even told her she and I would do something together like ride bikes or go on the swings but she's very stubborn and even though she tends to fight with my 11 year old cousin the most they are so much alike its scary. My DD can't let things go - they'll pick on her and she'll give it right back even though they easily ignore her or pretend they don't care because they know it makes her even more mad and one day she refused to walk away and I had to pick her up and carry her in the house. The funny thing is her two closest friends are both boys from school. There aren't many girls around here for her to play with and the girls that are in the neighborhood are closer to the boy's ages and play more often with them than with my DD.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:45 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Yeah if they pick on her and push her buttons, at her age she can only take so much of that. Just sounds like they need some time apart... that usually helps them get along when they do play together. On the plus side... at least she will stick up for herself right!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:48 PM on May. 7, 2011