Gardening!

So I am looking at doing an herb garden for this summer. I just looked on a website about growing herbs etc & the ones that we would use would be basil, chives, lavender, mint & parsley. So anyone have any tips? Can I put all of these in the same plot? Someone told me mint tends to take over an area & spread around so should I have it in its own contained area? Will the Lavender & other scents smell weird/funny in the same location? Well then again it did say mint dosent like manure etc so maybe I should just have a small seperate side spot for it? What do you ladies think?

How about nutmeg does that grown via ground or what? I am going to google that one lol As I am sure you can tell I am a first time gardner & am young so have no clue what I am doing here!

Also I have a plot further away from the house that is very moist. What would you suggest I put in that plot? My sister told me they had corn, tomatos down there & that they did fine. How about pumpkins easy or hard to grow & where should I do those or has the time passed for me to plant them for fall?

Any tips are great thanks ladies! Oh yeah I live in central Maine so changing seasons & all that jazz.

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 7:36 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Herbs usually do very well in small containers. I always keep everything seperate.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 11:18 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I did pumpkins last year. It was a lot of fun. The rabbits got most of them, but we ended up with 3 good size pumpkins. They really spread and need a lot of room. It's not too late. Just do it right away.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:39 PM on May. 7, 2011

• The mint would love that moist ground. And if you want pumpkins they spread too so maybe in the same area
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 7:49 PM on May. 7, 2011

• have fun! i'm new to gardening myself... had one last year and it was a bust in some areas, sucess in others!
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:52 PM on May. 7, 2011

• i dont have a green thumb, so i never try making a garden
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 11:33 AM on May. 8, 2011

• LOL okay I just learned that nutmeg comes from a very tall tree in very wet tropical climates so guess I wont be having that hahahaha

Okay I will figure out pumpkins asap thanks!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 7:40 PM on May. 7, 2011