I'm a SAHM, is it to much for me to take up a hobby or classes, like acting and guitar? Should I be embarressed about it?

Ok, I'm a 21 year old sahm, and married. I have no friends and my family is in another state. I plan on getting a part time job after christmas and I want to take acting classes and guitar. I love acting and LOVE LOVE LOVE playing instruments (I play flute, clarinet, and violin). I dont want to make a career out of it, persay, but I would love to maybe take some classes and do some of the local plays around my area.

Well, I tried to bring some of it up to my DH and his family, and they laughed...not my DH but they did, and I kinda got embarresed. I do think tho, my Dh feels if I take these hobbies that I wont have time for him and my DD. The classes would only take 2 days out the week, and we ALWAYS spend weekends together. I just would love to get out and experience these things. I'm still young, and still have the chance too...am I sounding silly or selfish for wanting this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Go take your classes! You'll feel better about yourself. Never let go of who you are EVER! It's not like it's going to take up all of your time. Start with one class. Who cares what everyone else thinks.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:50 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Neither selfish nor silly. The inlaws sound RUDE. And ya know what? We all need time AWAY from the family. I love my son and husband but can't spend every minute with them...we'd pick each other apart.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:50 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I say do it!!!!! For several reasons and you should tell hubby this, 1. It will feed your mind and soul, relax you and let you tap into this talent you have. 2. It will help you raise your daughter to appreciate the arts and you can even give her lessons (saving money) and 3. It will open more doors for you, even if you just get a part-time job doing nothing special, you can always volunteer to help at her school and even help in orchestrating a play or something, and you can give lessons at home if you get really good at it! You are young and I say go for it. I had the guts to ask my ex-hubby for a violin and he bought it for me while I was pregnant, I tried it out but then our marriage failed and I never really wanted to practice again. It still sits in my closet. DO IT!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:56 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• original poster- thanks ladies...yea they can be super rude sometimes. I love them, but yea...they can bring me down sometimes...but thanks...MY parents support me, but my main concern is my Dh and my DD. I know my DD wont mind (she's 2...lol) but its my in-laws more of whats bothering me...they would feel it would be a waste of money (not there money mine), and i should be Joan Clever and be at my husband and daughters beck and call. My DH doesn't feel that way, but he doesn't necessarily understand my need to do things for me. He's very close to his family so its not like I can ignore them, I see them everyday. They're very very opinionated (i'm not) and will tell me with the quickness if something is dumb and laugh at me....but im glad I got some support....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• OP- yes acting and playing instruments is something I love (got it from my Daddy! lol) and I will definitely teach my daughter about the arts and whatnot, but I just needed the boost and make sure I'm not being selfish, because sometimes, well most of the time I put others before myself. My Dh supports me, but I just thinks he's so used to me being home and whatnot, he's having trouble getting around the fact that on Monday's and Thursdays I wont be home! Lol...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Go take the classes. He will get over it.
    fawn321

Answer by fawn321 at 2:07 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• OP- lol...thanks fawn321
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Your in-laws may laugh and giggle like dorks but you hold your head up high and tell hubby you really need his extra help to show them it is not a dumb idea. He will support you from what you say.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:14 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• go do whatever it is you want to do..it will give you a breather, and much needed time away from baby. too many moms won't leave their babies for anything..that's them. i think it gives someone else/family/dh their own time to bond with the baby, as well. besides, if momma's happy, the entire house is happy.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 2:17 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I have hobbies...I go to school. My daughter thinks it's way cool that we can do homework together. Mind you there are days when I wish I was circling the cones and cubes :-( it's still fun
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2008