Does anyone freeze tea?

I have recently switched from diet cola to unsweetened iced tea. I find myself brewing a 2 qt. bottle about every day and a half. I made a commitment for the month, but I can see that one huge advantage diet soda has that I can just crack it open. Since I don't want to fall back into that, I wanted to make tea easier.

Does anyone have experience freezing brewed tea?

I was thinking if I froze the concentrate I could pop a pack in the bottle and fill the water up. Or I could put in my travel bottle, add water, and let it thaw throughout the day.

It seems like tea *should* freeze; I can't think of a problem. But does anyone have experience or advice?

KateDinVA

Asked by KateDinVA at 8:07 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I used to have a friend who would brew her tea with lemon for a week's worth, after it was brewed and cooled, she froze them in water bottles(she used the water that was in the bottles for brewing), she kept them in the freezer for a week, pulling out 2 or 3 a day to take with her to work. I always thought that was a neat idea.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 12:47 PM on May. 9, 2011

• No, but I think it's a great idea.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:10 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I've done it. I actually made a batch of sweet tea, then froze it in small disposable cups. Then when I made a fresh batch, I popped a couple of the frozen teas out of cups and added those so it would get cold right away, and kept it in the fridge. I was making a gallon at a time, almost daily, just for DH and I. So I know doing that works - but it sounds like what you're wanting to do is a bit different...?
    Anonymous

• Anon, that sounds like a great idea for cooling down without watering it down. I usually fill my bottle with ice and after steeping pour the hot tea concentrate over the ice and shake it until it's mostly melted, then finish topping it off with water. I love the idea of sweet tea cubes.

Yeah, what I'm thinking of is to save the step of brewing every time. Brew a big batch, don't add water, freeze, and then use the super-strong tea cubes to make a bottle of tea by "just add water!" magic. In theory it would work, but I don't know about practice.

I should just try it. What's the most I'll be out? A whopping 50 cents of tea and electricity?
    KateDinVA

Comment by KateDinVA (original poster) at 9:54 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Ohhhh, okay, I got it now. Yeah, I bet that would work - it probably wouldn't taste quite the same, but it would work. I do have a confession - I use instant tea sometimes, and one summer, a few times, I mixed up the tea concentrated and just added more water when I made more - didn't freeze it, but same basic idea. Like you said, you won't be out much to try it. Now you've got my thoughts rolling ;).
    Anonymous

• I've used frozen 'tea cubes" and "coffee cubes" to cool my iced tea and iced coffee without watering them down with regular ice. I think it was a "good thing" from Martha. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:57 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Great Idea, I will be trying it too, my only thing is figuring out how many frozen cubes for bottle, and finding a wide enough bottle that I can reuse. If you get to the frozen cubes per bottle before me let me know.
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 2:48 PM on May. 9, 2011