A question about 5 year olds....

What kind of responsibilities and expectations do/did you have for your child?

I want to compare what I do with mine and see if I'm being too lax or too strict.

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 8:34 PM on May. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• can you be a little more specific? I have a 5 year old and I'll answer if you can narrow it down for me. Expectations of behavior? Responsibilties as in chores?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:38 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Hahaha, yeah, sorry, that's pretty much what I meant. Responsibilities chores/cleaning up after themselves (home and at other's homes), expectations of their behavior at home/in public/at friends.
    Nanixh

Comment by Nanixh (original poster) at 8:41 PM on May. 7, 2011

• When my grandson who is 5 stays here with me...like 3-4 days and nights a week... I have him gather the dirty towels from the bathroom, help turn things on the correct side to be laundered, help sort dark clothes from light one, clean up his own messes, feed the chickens with grandpa, help clear the table after meals, put away his bedding (it doesn't have to be folded...just put in the cabinet under his bed) and put away his own clothes.
    If he does something he shouldn't like bring home anything less than a green light he has to help weed the garden instead of going off to play.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 8:41 PM on May. 7, 2011

• chores: he feeds the cats, has to keep his room clean, put away his toys, put his dishes in the sink and helps with some yardwork (picking up sticks etc)

peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:43 PM on May. 7, 2011

• my daughter will be 5 this month and her brother is 6 1/2

their bedroom is just bunk bed/dresser and not a thing else except the air cleaner (son has terrible night time asthma so I keep the sleeping area sparse and as dust free as possible) they do NOT have to make their beds. they do, however, have a pretty huge playroom with a train table, a kitchen, a bbq, and 2 toy bins worth of crap. they must keep their books/toys organized, play with 1 thing at a time. non negotiable. I have TOTALLY thrown out toys and donated away things not kept tidy.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:45 PM on May. 7, 2011

• mine helps sort laundry, puts away her clothes, clean her bathroom (just pick up and a rinse of the sink) put her toys away at night. She is expected to be polite and respectful in public, I will not allow tantrums and whining. She knows by now that if she sees things she has a question about, she can ask, after we are away from who ever it is.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 8:48 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My daughter will bring in all the groceries when we get home from the store, feeds the cats (because she wants to), cleans up her toy room and any toys that make their way out of the toy room every night, helps clear the table, usually wants to help daddy take the toys out, helps keep an eye on her sister (not like baby sitting...more like "help sissy wash her hands" "find her shoes" etc). Get herself dressed (with the clothes I set out) and her shoes and coat on before we leave the house.

As far as behavior, she is expected not to talk back, and to be able to follow instructions the FIRST time they are given. She is expected to wait her turn and not interrupt (struggles with this big time).

I would say we are fairly strict, but no more strict than my parents were with me, and I think I survived just fine.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:56 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My son is 5 , he picks up his toys, helps put away clothes, puts dishes in the sink, helps his sister, puts his clothes that I set out on. As far as behavior goes, not talking back, do something the first time he is told, be nice to his sister, wait his turn etc.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:28 AM on May. 8, 2011

• my son has a chore chart he is 5, it has clean room, clean game room, brush teeth, bath, and do homework. he does them all but sometimes get mad about having to do them.
    mandiirae

Answer by mandiirae at 2:55 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Mine is almost 6(in june) he dosnt have set chores, but I do expect him to help out with whatever it is when I ask him to. He likes to take out the garbage, help fold his laundry/put it away, clean up his room. Both kids have to clean up the outside toys when they are done with them, and put them away, so they dont mess up the yard.
    As for behaviour, they have never thrown a tantrum, some have a hard time believing that, but they havnt. They are to be polite and use their manners always, but especialy when we are out or at someones house.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:15 AM on May. 8, 2011