Is horse racing cruel?

pampire

Asked by pampire at 8:49 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• My only problem with horse racing is that over the years they have 'lightened'/made the bones thinner ~ which leaves some very fast horses extremely open to injury, and that non-winners are sold at auction too often. I don't like any breeding that seriously alters the structure of an animal that benefits humans, but damages them or makes them more prone to illness and injury. We've done it with dogs, cats, some birds, most farm/food animals.

peta (I refuse to capitalize it!) needs to take a long hike off a short pier. The original idea may have been good, but now they are nothing but attention whores .... and they are just as likely to kill and dump strays as any shelter. Mostly they annoy me because most of their members don't actually know anything about the animals they claim to love. You can't love an animal if you don't respect it for what it is instead of some fuzzy dream/stuffed vision you have of them.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:25 PM on May. 7, 2011

• No, they are well cared for in most cases and love doing it. I have raced and pleasure ran sled dogs for years and have been told it was cruel. the PETA idiots have even protested at races. Ignorance. What is cruel is the ones that get left home when you hook up and go for a run.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:52 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I love horse racing! My grandaddy raised quarter horses and my sister and I got to go to the track every summer. Race horses are athletes. Running is in their blood. The horses can be very expensive and are well taken care of. Grandaddy had a swamp cooler in the barn so they didn't get too hot during the summer. They all had their own special "formula" for their feed. Grandaddy used to fix each horses food like he was a chef or something. They don't always get put down when seriously injured. They have special slings to help hold them.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:57 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Minnesota, it's almost impossible to set a broken leg on a horse and have them live long enough to heal. Confining them in a sling is bad enough, but laminitis is almost a given when that is done. It also causes severe stress on their spine, breathing issues, and a host of other problems. Sometimes it can be done, but it depends on the injury and the individual animal. Most horses will fight the confinement ~ and you can't medicate them the way you would a human. That creates a brand new set of problems.

Speaking as a vet tech and long time horse lover now ... not putting you down. Horses are very different than cats, dogs, or other familiar pets when they have a bone injury.

No, we don't shoot athletes, but they don't encounter the difficulties horses do. Having been present for many such injuries (not so much race horses), it's heartbreaking .... for vets as well as the owners.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:59 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I also think the horses get "whipped" as thery are running to keep them running faster.

They don't get whipped.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:53 PM on May. 7, 2011

• You know, horse racing is a money making enterprise. If you do NOT take care of your racing horses then you are wasting money, so it would be monumentally stupid to mistreat your horses. These horses are pampered and kept extremely well. And they LOVE to run!

And you know what? A horse running in a field can step in a gopher hole and break a leg too.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:25 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Any athlete? ....well, do they put down a football player when he breaks his leg?????

That is goofy. Look at all they did to try to save barbaro (sp)
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:35 PM on May. 7, 2011

• it's a waste of time Carpy to argue with the idiot.
    as horse owners, I would think you and I have exerienced more in the horse world than she could imagine.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:55 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I think it is. If a horse is injured, they will most likely be put down cause the owner will deem it worthless unless someone else buys the horse. This doesn't happen all the time mind u, but there have been times. I also think the horses get "whipped" as thery are running to keep them running faster., I am unsure if this is happening anymore, IDK.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:52 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I do feel sorry for them,running so hard

They LOVE it. No need to feel sorry.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:22 PM on May. 7, 2011