If your child has asthma

how often do they have an attack and what are their triggers?

other_mother

Asked by other_mother at 9:02 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Health

• The attacks vary. My son had one 2 nights ago, and I'm not sure what triggered that one. On a regular basis running, sleeping in a hot room and outdoor triggers like pollen, grass and animals cause it...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:09 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Very rare attacks and he usually has them when he gets a cold or upper respitory infection. Also, when it's really humid he has issues.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:23 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Asthma attacks are individual to the person. First off NEVER smoke around a child. In the summer it is best to keep them in a cool place as the humid heat can trigger attacks. Also, if the asthma is related to allergies, then seeing an allergist might make it a little easier to pin point what may set the child off. Just always make sure to have the childs inhaler readily available. Also make sure the appropriate staff at the childs school has an inhaler available if needed.
    RNMomO3

Answer by RNMomO3 at 9:41 PM on May. 7, 2011

• For mine, it was sudden changes in temperature and if he laughed too much or cried too long - weird I know - also, really cold days got him going too. His worst months of the year were May and December. We had a nebulizer at home for him, but we could count on him being hospitalized at least twice a year (in those months) no matter how much we wrapped him up, kept him quiet, etc etc. HIs doctor used to piss me off (even tho he was a very good doctor) - because he would say, "Let him play, mama - he is a boy!" I wanted to say so badly "yeah, but you're not going to be the one up with him at 2:00 a.m. trying to help him breathe!" In all fairness tho, I understood what the doctor was saying - but it was hard!
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 10:17 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Thank you for the responses. I am aware that attacks are very individual, but was hoping that some triggers would be listed that we haven't thought of. It has been a really rough week with it-- especially the last few days, and his allergist cannot get him in until the first week in June. We are on the list to call if someone cancels an appointment. We live in a completely smoke free home and have recently moved to an apartment that has never been smoked in. I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Usually as soon as spring arrives, he gets better because the cold makes it really bad. This year, it just isn't happening.
    other_mother

Comment by other_mother (original poster) at 12:31 PM on May. 8, 2011