If you're in an interfaith relationship, what challenges have there been? Has it made you stronger in your chosen faith?

pampire

Asked by pampire at 9:21 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• We have had challenges to face; but have discussed them in depth. The religious issues especially became apparent while planning our wedding. (The rules and guidelines were very frustrating.) We had issues about rites of passage with my religion after our son was born. (Catholicism) It made us think about what we wanted to teach our child. We now teach him about morals, being kind to others, believing in God, (in a general sense - until he gets older), and choices and decisions that apply to being a loving and charitable person. Actually - for me - it has made me question my religion; which seems to exclude people in many ways. I have been researching other religions; but still feel comfortable with what I was taught while growing up.

Bostonsbest

Answer by Bostonsbest at 9:16 PM on May. 8, 2011

• No challenges, he practices how he sees fit and I do the same. We teach the children personal lessons about both and many, many generic lessons. Lessons in kindness, commitment, strength, faith ect do not always have to involve any higher power at. I want my kids to believe that you do the right thing just to do it, not bc you may be punished if youre not, or not bc you're obligated after God sacrificed his son to us (im catholic) and my husband wants the same. The actual lessons in just about religions have nothing to do with god at all in our opinion, just peace, love, kindness, and pride.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 9:27 PM on May. 7, 2011

• We haven't had a single issue in our relationship as far as faith/religion are concerned. He's Catholic, and I'm....spiritual I guess you could say. He doesn't even really talk about his religion, just answers questions that I have. I in turn don't put his religion down or start unnecessary debates with him. I find the things he believes in interesting, but I myself can't believe the same.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:44 PM on May. 7, 2011

• We really haven't had any challenges pertaining to faith. Dh has always been supportive of me 'spiritually searching' and I've always respected his desire to have nothing to do with any of that. We respect each other, neither of us is seeking to change the other, and we agree on how we want to raise the kids. There really has never been anything to disagree about. It's a non-issue in our house.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:12 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I personally wouldn't marry someone with whom I didn't share a faith. It's pretty basic stuff for me. The basis of which we make most of our decisions and life choices. I've dated men who did not share my religion, but knew I'd never marry any of them.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:58 AM on May. 8, 2011

• We haven't really had any major problems, but we are quite similar in many ways. We're both Pantheists, but he's more of a Taoist, and I'm more of a Buddhist. We have a similar background as well, except I attended a moderate Christian church as a child, and he attended a more conservative Christian church. We discuss differences (particularly since we have a child now) when they do come up, but we allow each other to explore and just generally be who we are.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:07 PM on May. 8, 2011