Is it safe to use Nair or Veet on my daughters legs?

My daughter is 8 and she has semi- dark hair on her legs , she is scared at what people think of her when they see her legs. Also her friends mom lets her shave. She is always asking me when could she shave her legs. I am scared that she will cut her legs or that I may even cut her legs. I have been considering the use of Nair or Veet. Would it be safe enough for her to use? If not what can we do to get rid of it so that she will feel better about herself?

txgarnet27

Asked by txgarnet27 at 1:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yeah i know someone who lets her daughter use veet instead of a razor bc she is really insecure and its safer than a razor... anyway, if you do let her use it, i would recommend using veet and NOT nair, nair is disgusting smell and everyone i have spoken with has had a bad reaction to it...
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:54 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• wow 8 i was like 12..but like i keep saying pubity and things are coming sooner!!!!
    Use veet not nair....like pp said its stinks i was alleric to it.
    oh yeah veet also has the one with the safty razor with no blade but also where you rub it on you have a sponge to wipe it away...easy.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 1:57 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• No. I would not. I think it burns my skin. Get her one of those Intuition Razors. They are virtually harmless but effective.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Dang! Kids do things earlier and earlier! I was 12 also! That's sad that she is already worrying about that kind of stuff.

I agree with above...get the intuition.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Generally, I would wait, but if a child is insecure because of dark hair, then shave away!....I am not sure about the hair remover. I have used nair one time and it was not a pleasant experience. I say try the veet and if that doesn't work, then get a GOOD three or four bladed razor. You do it for her and I am sure you willbe fine. Youre not going to cut her and with a very sharp razor the nicks are usually slight. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:26 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Ever thought about taking her to get waxed?
    mami-chula

Answer by mami-chula at 1:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I won't even use it on my legs!
    Anonymous

• Waxed?! An 8 year old?! Ouch!! They have plenty of "safty razors" on the market today.... The intuition or the Venus Breeze are some good starter options...teach how to do it with a good shave gel (to avoid razor burn) and make she she throwsthe oldrazors away after she'sused thema few times. I'm sure she will be fine. And besides, I think that cutting your legs shaving is a rite of passage or something... I've done it a ton of times (even as an adult) and I've never bled out in the tub.
    I'm justagainstputting anything on my body that just "melts"away the hair.... can't be good for my skin!
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 9:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I think her skin is still so tender! If you have to do it, I would just use shaving cream and shave away and use an after-shave gel or conditioning cream on her skin. I guess times have changed! I used to walk around with her on my legs but then again all other girls did.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 12:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2008