For the SAHM out there..

So recently I was speaking to a friend of mine that stated she was glad her infant was in daycare becaues they would "learn" alot more and be ahead. That kinda made me feel like a dope. Has anyone else encountered this attitude? And how did you react?

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 9:27 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think the only better thing about daycare is the social interaction. But I can teach my children alot more at home because I dont have 10-12 kids I am trying to care for at the same time.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:29 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Yea...well it wasn't so much a debate it was the way it was said...like her kid would know more than mine. I was like woah....
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Yes, I have this attitude too and I AM a SAHM. BUTTTTT its not completely true. Children in child care or care schools do reach certain mile stones faster. BUT you can school youre child at home as well and its twice as fun bc you're there! I am teaching my 3 year old to read now, he LOVES it. I SOCIALIZE my kids with at least one play date a week, and walks to meet whatever kid happens to be sitting outside that day. I also take them on nature walks, introduce them to electronics, read to them at least once a day, and my son has met every mile stone MONTHS ahead of time.

I think the main thing children get from child care is social skills and speech skills. You can teach all that at home! (though I have nothing against child care)
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 9:33 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Yes, I've encountered those people before... Their mouths usually shut when they see my child doing something theirs can't... My dd's kindergarten teacher wasn't fond of me because she had nothing to teach my dd... She already knew her colors, alphabet, numbers, how to tie her shoes, how to write... She was already reading more than any of the other kids... the ONLY drawback to having a child that isn't in daycare, my dd caught every germ that went through that room, because she wasn't exposed to them through daycare...
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 9:33 PM on May. 7, 2011

• That doesnt mean they are going to learn anything. my 3 yr old IS NOT in day care. counts in english and spanish. 1 2 n 3 in chinese french. She can sing her ABCs. Shes starting to spell. she loves to read. She knows her colors. Understands a lot more then a lot of children her age. NOT THANKS TO DAY CARE. it also depends on which day care you put your child in. some dont teach your kids they will just let them play. Do what YOU think is right for YOU and YOUR CHILD.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:34 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Well I have been around the bend and back. One in a daycare center, one in in home care and not at 3 I am home with the youngest... What she is saying is not well thought out. First off an infant isn't going to learn anything any differently no matter where they are. They do not begin to even parallel play until after age one and no interaction until closer to 2. So even the social thing doesn't really mean anything until toddler hood. We all know kids learn through play, asking questions and parent interaction so any decent mom is going to cover the same things any daycare curriculum is. I am sure any good mom is going to take their kid to play groups or at least the playground once in a while so there again the social aspect evens out. *maybe* by age 3-4 a daycare child is learning classroom behaviors and rules to start K with but even that is not something the schools aren't prepared for...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:47 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I think she is just trying to make herself fell better about a choice she is *having* to make. I have worked my kids entire lives up until a month ago and I felt guilty about it every day but I *had* to work. Shoot I still need to work but now I feel worse because I had a taste of being at home with them! Just smile and nod. You know better and I am sure deep down she does to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:50 PM on May. 7, 2011

• that's a real crappy attitude and assumption on your part, But Mommie. it may be true for you and your situation, but doesn't hold truth for everyone who used childcare/daycare.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:03 PM on May. 7, 2011

• yeah.. .my nephew is in day care and is way behind.. my dd has learning difficulties and is where she should be for normal kuds her age.. they are the same age... i work from home... shes never been to day care... my nephew is actually VERY smart, but was never taught anything in day care or by his mother, so now is behind. Which is sad because he does have the potential to be a very intelligent kid if he had the proper education.. he's like a sponge and picks everything up so well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:05 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Wait, I am getting in trouble for saying kids in daycare have no advantage over non-daycare kids? It has nothing to do with daycare or not. A good daycare will have a curriculum. A good parent is going to teach them at home anyway through play and interaction. There is no advantage to either one if the parent is doing their job the kids are on the same page. Daycare or not it the parent who has the most influence.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:15 PM on May. 7, 2011