I met this lady at work 2 weeks ago, she is nice and we get along fine..

going crazyyesterday she wanted to know what i was going to get her for mothers day.. really?? she even made suggestions listing items that she likes...i just listened- nothing else i could do, it was very weird. monday morning i WILL not be having a gift in hand for her. i know she will ask.. what do i say ? i don't want her to feel bad but this woman has no tact/ social skills.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 9:28 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• I would tell her that you have no reason to get her a gift. She isn't your mother.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:29 PM on May. 7, 2011

• wow, i wouldnt know what to say either...
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 9:29 PM on May. 7, 2011

• i dont blame ya ... wishing a coworker a happy mothers day is all they r gettn out of me and also all that i expect
    andrea937

Answer by andrea937 at 9:30 PM on May. 7, 2011

• i have to agree with andrea wish her a happy mothers day and be fine with that
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 9:33 PM on May. 7, 2011

• wow some ppl...ask her what she got you?
    dramaMama407

Answer by dramaMama407 at 9:35 PM on May. 7, 2011

• That's really strange behavior. Do nothing. If she asked, just joke you didn't even get anything for your own mother, she'll have to take a number. You just started the new job, it's important to keep goodwill. Meanwhile, start branching out to others. It's not wise to become close to any one coworker until you really know the lay of the land.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:43 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Wow I thought my situation was bad. Just posted a similar question. lol I would tell her happy mothers day and leave it at that.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:52 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Very wierd... Make a joke, "Oh, you were serious? Shopping for one mother is enough!"
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 10:18 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Wow! was she joking??? Thats kind of crazy lol....I liked the suggestion that Olivia gave...tell her "Girl I didnt even get my own mama anything lol" and leave it at that...I would probably also keep my distance from her after that...I mean asking a CO-WORKER to get you something for Mother's Day is really weird
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 10:27 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I can't believe she had the guts to ask for a gift and you haven't known her that long that's crazy , you're not obligated to get her anything and you don't owe an explanation either but if you feel you need to tell her something tell her happy mothers day and you thought she was joking
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 10:36 PM on May. 7, 2011